Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 17, 2017, 08:24:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DashCommand loses connectivity....doesn't reconnect  (Read 9771 times)
phuz

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2009, 07:05:28 am »

So after finally purchasing the license yesterday for DashCommand, I was able to start using it and discovered that after 5 minutes of having it loaded, it would lose connection to the car and the PID values would just hold their last known value.  yay Roll Eyes

I am using the same original cables (RS232) that came with the package when I bought PCMSCAN.  Btw, it works fine with pcmscan and doesn't lose connection.  So if anyone has advice for sustaining a connection or at least getting the program to auto-reconnect.  (you would think it would have been programmed to do that already, right?)

On another note, is there a way to specify which dash you want to load when running command line parameters?  I didn't see anything under the embedding page.

Thanks guys.
bengteck

TypeRR HCHII

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 07:52:07 pm »

did you off the engine when running the dash?
it will freeze some PIDs ... like speed, MAF
i've informed brian/brandon and they yet to resolve them since last sima show

the last update for DashCommand dtd 2/13/2009 Build 1091
* When loading a new skin or dashboard in DashCommand, it now opens the file dialog in the appropriate directory.
* The default DashCommand dashboard now maintains an aspect ratio of 1:1.

as for other screen you need to load, just tap the screen and select setting, then load dashboard and select your new dash screen. play around you will find them

BengTeck - Honda Civic Hybrid 2007
Kohjinsha UMPC 500MHz AMD Geode LX800 @ 1GB Ram
ElmScan 5 c/w External BlueTooth & ScanXL Pro v3.2.0 (Build 1692) & Dash Command v2.5.0 (Build 1692)
Brook@PPE
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 03:32:17 pm »

Part 1, DashCommand auto-reconnect:
DashCommand is currently designed to auto-reconnect if it loses connectivity.

Part 2, Load Dash via Command Parameters:
This on is being added to our to-do list, thanks for the great suggestion Smiley.
phuz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 12:34:24 pm »

Part 1, DashCommand auto-reconnect:
DashCommand is currently designed to auto-reconnect if it loses connectivity.

I wish this was true, but it's not.  It happened on two separate occasions today after about 5 minutes of operation.  The values just froze and it never resumed its connection for the duration of my drive.  As soon as I stopped, I closed DashCommand and restarted it.  It re-connected and began operating as normal. 
But I can confirm that DashCommand DOES NOT automatically reconnect if it loses its connection because it hasn't done it even once.

I'd appreciate if this can be fixed.  My virtual gauges are useless if the PIDs aren't being polled...lol Smiley
phuz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 02:23:52 pm »

After today's discovery, it seems something else is going on.

I was monitoring two PIDs, SAE.IAT and SAE.ECT and those appeared to stop updating after several minutes.  I added the SAE.CATEMP11 for my Exhaust temps and while SAE.IAT and SAE.ECT stopped updating, the exhaust temp was still being updated.  On one of the tests, SAE.ECT stopped updating but SAE.IAT was still active.  I am not sure what is going on, but I guess the software is still technically "connected" but it is missing data from some of the PIDs at certain periods of time.  Once it stops updating, it does NOT start again, until I reconnect completely.
BrianP
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 02:45:23 pm »

I've been thinking about this problem a little bit, and I'm quite sure it should be reconnecting after it loses connectivity. However, it probably does not restart the data logging when that happens, so even though it has reconnected, the gauges aren't updating. I'll take a look at this problem.

About the SAE.IAT and SAE.ECT pids, those two pids are set to priority 2, so they won't update very often (since their value doesn't change very fast). I expect they should be updating every 20-30 seconds though, depending on the OBD-II protocol your vehicle uses.
phuz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 02:52:31 pm »

I've been thinking about this problem a little bit, and I'm quite sure it should be reconnecting after it loses connectivity. However, it probably does not restart the data logging when that happens, so even though it has reconnected, the gauges aren't updating. I'll take a look at this problem.

About the SAE.IAT and SAE.ECT pids, those two pids are set to priority 2, so they won't update very often (since their value doesn't change very fast). I expect they should be updating every 20-30 seconds though, depending on the OBD-II protocol your vehicle uses.

Well, in my particular application, when they ARE working properly, they update about once per second or once every two seconds, and when they stop, that's it...no more updating.  I could let it run indefinitely from that point and it will not update again.

Thanks for checking into it Brian.  I'll be checking back here periodically to see what you find.
phuz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 06:57:30 am »

This morning's update:  7 minutes into the drive, SAE.IAT stopped responding, but the CATEMP11 and ECT stayed active for the entire commute.
phuz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 09:58:37 am »

OK.  It has been a week.  Has anything been diagnosed with this problem?
Thanks.
bengteck

TypeRR HCHII

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:12:52 pm »

do you hv PCMScan sw, you may use that to check
as i know DashCommand sometimes select certain PID and disable them

for my case both my ECT & IAT work perfectly
but not MAP and speedo only when i off engine and restart

that prompt me to suspect they work erratic on some PIDs only
and it might only happen to some brand/model of car

for your case, it stop output when OBDII still active
it might not be the sw but the along the link towards your ride connection/intergration

BengTeck - Honda Civic Hybrid 2007
Kohjinsha UMPC 500MHz AMD Geode LX800 @ 1GB Ram
ElmScan 5 c/w External BlueTooth & ScanXL Pro v3.2.0 (Build 1692) & Dash Command v2.5.0 (Build 1692)
phuz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 01:35:08 pm »

In my case, it is the software.  I have PCMSCAN, as well, and it never loses connection when I am using it.  With DashCommand, certain PID values will stop updating while others remain updating.

Brian...answers?
BrianP
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 10:27:23 pm »

Sorry for the delay - we are hard at work trying to get the new version of DashCommand out the door.

I have looked into these problems and I think I've figured out and solved the problem where certain PIDs stop updating. So that fix will be available in the new version of DashCommand.

We've also added a status indicator so that you'll be able to see when the OBD-II connection is lost. Then you can choose to reconnect if you like.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: