Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 15, 2017, 06:18:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Display latency?  (Read 3664 times)
86atc250r

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2009, 12:48:35 pm »

I've briefly looked over the forums for info, but maybe some of you can help.

I have an engine swap project I'm working on and am considering my options for my gauges (hardware vs software).

The project is an LS1 in a C3 Corvette that will be a car that gets used occasionally as a cruiser.    The engine is not yet operational & I haven't chosen my PC hardware, so I can not download the trial and see for myself.

My question is this - how "real time" is the display?   I've seen an example or two on youtube and it seemed like there was a .5 to 1 second delay on the tach.    Is it related to PC performance, a limitation of how the PCM sends the data, or a configuration issue?

If it's PC related, what level of hardware is required to as smooth and real time a display as possible?    I'm mainly looking for the Tach to be as realtime as possible, near realtime speed would be nice too.    I intend to display a minimal gauge set, similar to what the factory ones were.

I've dealt with aftermarket EFI in the past and their software tools - and the there was no latency with their displays, so I'm hoping this is possible.

Thanks in advance.
BrianP
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:19:04 pm »

Our DashCommand software samples the data and renders the gauges as quickly as the vehicle can supply the data. Most of the videos I've seen posted up are on vehicles which use the ISO9141 protocol, which is quite slow. Your vehicle (the LS1 engine anyways) uses J1850-VPW and it is much faster. I also have an LS1 vehicle and it does pretty well. If you park the vehicle and just rev the engine up and down, it can rev so quickly that the gauges can't keep up with it (even the factory instrument cluster). But for normal driving I don't think you'd notice a difference.

However, the dashboard design also makes a difference. If you are viewing a dashboard with 10 or 20 different gauges on it, then it has to sample all of them to provide an update. So each gauge doesn't get as many samples per second. So for best results use fewer gauges. With our new version of DashCommand (coming out soon) you will be able to have multiple dashboards. So you can set up one for cruising with many gauges on it, and another for racing with only 2 or 3 gauges (so it updates quickly).
86atc250r

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 04:35:31 pm »

Excellent - thanks for the reply.    It sounds like a software dash is realistic if I decide to go that route.

Many thanks for your detailed reply & I'll probalby pick up a copy of the software when the time comes just for coolness factor, even if I don't make my main dash a software display.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: