Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 14, 2017, 04:55:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Latency/stalling in reading metrics in my dashboards  (Read 5905 times)
willmeyer

REFACTR

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:30:17 pm »

I have two custom dashboards I am just about done with, one that looks a bit like a normal dash gauge set and the other than looks more like a HUD in an airplane (you know, for fun).  They are both working pretty well, and the display latency is fine.  However, I do have a problem in that it seems as though every second or so the metrics freeze up at the same value, pretty consistently.  I have had other reader software in teh car and the car bus I think is not the problem.  In the designer tool, it appears that my display draws pretty fast as well (its all properly layered) so I don't think the issue is there.  What can I do to debug this latency?  And are there any settings I can tweak with respect to how fast DashCommand is trying to read the quantities?  Can I give some precedence over others?  Like the ones that are used for needles need to update much more smoothly than the ones that don't.

Help appreciated.  My dashboards are attached, they are being used in a Mazdaspeed3, hence the color schemes.

* ms3.factory.4.dxl (1223.25 KB - downloaded 168 times.)
* ms3.technical.3.dxl (39.42 KB - downloaded 149 times.)

willmeyer

REFACTR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:42:13 am »

Anything?  I do own a license...

Brandon@PPE
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:31:55 am »

I've been out of the loop for quite some time, but I wanted to let you know that the folks at PPE are not ignoring you.

Those who regularly respond to these forum posts are either out of town, or have recently had a new addition to the family and are currently at home with the new little one.

I'm sorry I'm not much of a help in my current position, but those who can help should be back shortly to answer your questions.
Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:53:17 pm »

All PIDs do have a priority level (1, 2, or 3).

A priority 1 PID is updated every frame.
A priority 2 PID is updated every 10 priority 1 frames.
A priority 3 PID is updated every 5 priority 2 frames (50 priority 1 frames).

These numbers are configurable in the File menu, then Preferences. You can change the priority of any individual PID by going to the PID Config, right clicking on the PID, and choosing 1, 2, or 3.

I would guess that its pausing when it gets the 3rd priority frame. It would have to update all (1, 2, and 3) PIDs, not just priority 1, which takes longer.
Maybe you could get it to pause less often if you make the frame wait longer for priority 3? (Or data log less PIDs)
willmeyer

REFACTR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 08:45:39 pm »

This is DashCommand...the DashXL editor doesn't seem to have this option.  Am I  missing something?  Is this configuration available in DashCommand?

Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 02:56:52 pm »

I am sorry, those instructions are for ScanXL, not DashCommand.
The reason it is pausing would likely be the same, except DashCommand has no way for the user to manually set priorities.
willmeyer

REFACTR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:33:27 pm »

Ok, so...   Can I get a copy of ScanXL for editing-only or something?  It's kind of a bummer to be limited with DashCommand, I would pay more if needed.  Brian at one point mentioned also that teh new version could run script parameters.  If I could do that, then I would buy ScanXL just to edit/create DashXL files that I could then run in DashCommand in my car.  Is that new version actually coming out sometime soon?  I have been hearing about it forever.  I would buy additional SW from you if I felt like I was going to get the ongoign support and any of my feature requests have gone in...

Happy user, but definitely would love to sort out a few things...

Thanks,

Will

Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 12:57:52 pm »

The new version of DashCommand is not planned to have a script editor, although DashCommand will support scripting. You will need to create the scripts in ScanXL and import them into DashCommand, Since most car PCs don't have keyboards. You could use an unregistered (free) version of ScanXL to write them.

If you would like to be notified when it is released please sign up for our newsletter here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: