Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
April 23, 2014, 01:55:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Erratic data problem  (Read 4964 times)
Pierre@PPE

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:08:42 pm »

Hi. I've been evaluating PCMSCAN for a few weeks now and have had great success writing scripts and designing dashboards. I was pretty much finished a shifting assist dashboard that used a script to figure out the gear ratio and match it to a gear. Friday evening everything was working but Saturday SAE.RPM and SAE.VSS were just sending erratic data. I'd be idling at 700 rpm in my driveway and the readings would fluctuate between 700 and 9000 rpm and 0 and 190 km/h. It looked more like a random number generator that a real data stream.

So off I went on a troubleshooting quest and the results point to the software.

The OBDPRo USB ScanTool works fine with the Centrafuse OBDII plugin and OBDII 2007 but curiously DashCommand has the same erratic data problem. My ScanGaugeII works fine too. I've mostly ruled out a hardware issue.

I've tried uninstalling the PPE software including the configuration file found in the Application Data folder but a reinstall didn't do a thing.

So here I am hoping for a little guidance in my quest to resolve this issue. The funny thing is that I had made up my mind to purchase the software but now it's totally useless.

Other things I've noticed that may help troubleshoot this problem:
- Every once in awhile the OBDPro would 'disconnect' - It coincidended with movement of the mouse after 5+ minute of disuse. I got in the habit of unplugging then repluggling the OBDPro from the OBDII port whenever this happened.
- I remember seeing a USB-Serial driver update in the last Windows Update I did last Friday. The timing is highly suspect because this problem started the day after. But I have 3 devices in total that use USB-Serial drivers so it could have been an update for the GPS receiver, the Car2PC adapter, or even the Bluetooth adapter. But since the OBDPro works with other software I've closed this as a possible cause.

I hope I/we can fix this because I have some really cool scripts and dashboards to share.

Cheers.
SydChrome

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:24:57 pm »

I too have this problem. When first installed it all worked fine.
It seemed it was after a number of uses that this problem occurred.
Others have experienced this same problem - See the following post:
http://www.palmerperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=1282.0

I have a homebrew OBD to USB interface (genuine ELM327) - and it works fine with other OBD2 software I have.  My vehicle uses a CAN bus.
What is yours?
Pierre@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 07:38:37 pm »

It makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one with this problem. My car uses a CAN bus as well. I'll send in a tech log tomorrow. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

I've thought of a few other things to try too.
BrianP
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 07:59:30 pm »

Would you guys be able to email a techlog (on level 9) of this problem to support@palmerperformance.com?
gallo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 11:17:55 am »

I have the same problem with SCANXL, I bought my ELM327 interface and it came with an ilegal license of SCANXL, last friday was working great, but on sunday was sending erratic data. I removed the license so I use the software in Evaluation mode; In this mode I just can see the SAE.RPM parameter and it was giving good readouts, I installed again the license I just selected the SAE.RPM parameter and it sent me again erratic data. I have just sent an email to support because I want to buy the software but I dont know if this is an inferface problem or a "software copy protection" that makes the software send erratic data in some dates with an ilegal license. With other free software my interface works great.
Pierre@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 02:12:08 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is a copy protection scheme. I was using an illegal license to be able to fully evaluate the software. If it wasn't for that illegal license I wouldn't have spent so much time experiementing with the software and come to the conclusion that PCMSCAN is the right choice for OBDII software for me. I've been burned so many times by buying software that I think is the right choice only to use it for a while and find out it isn't. Then I'm faced with another purchase. No more wasting money. I want to try the software before I commit to it and if the trial is functionally limited I will seek out a way to make it unlimited. That very act creates more demand for the illegal activities the hurt software sales. It would be better if PPE offered an unlimited trial. I would even pay a small fee ($10) for a 2 week unlimited trial.

Come to think of it this type of software is a good candidate for a 'rental' license model. You download and install the software, buy a 1 week license, run your tests, diagnose the problem, do a dyno, whatever. Then 6 months later you buy another 1 week license after you've purchased more performance parts and you want to test again. The risk for the consumer is low and the revenue for PPE is made up of many small transactions that would no doubt exceed current sales figures. A win-win for both parties. But I digress...

So the question remains... if I purchase a real license will the software start working again? Or will I need to re-install the software on an untainted system?

Cheers.

BrianP
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 02:39:57 pm »

If you guys are all using hacked/cracked versions of the software/license keys, then unfortunately we won't be able to provide technical support when you have problems. However, that being said, our software does not "taint" the computer in any way. If you guys do a full uninstall and reinstall with a valid, legal, paid (read: not hacked/cracked) license key and version of the software (from our website) then you should have no problems and we'd be more than happy to provide full support.
Mojito

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 02:47:01 am »

I too would buy the software if I were sure that I will not have this problem.  It is fare not to provide support, but you could at least confirm that random datalogging problem is only due to illegal license use. That would provide some comfort for potential buyers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: