Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
September 21, 2017, 04:05:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Limiting data set in data log for performance  (Read 434 times)
jbailer

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:31:17 am »

Any idea how to limit what all is being logged when I capture a data log? I have a list of about 8 PIDs I'd like to log. I deleted the others that shop up by default except for RPM and VSS, then added 6 of my own PIDs. When I export the data, there are over 200 columns in Excel. Don't get me wrong, more data is always great to have but I need more of the 8 PIDs I'm looking for per second. Ideally, I'd like to get maybe 5 of each per second. I'm concerned that the app or phone is too busy logging all the other data and limiting the PIDs that I really need. Many are to do with things like GPS that I'm not concerned about for engine performance and tuning.
jbailer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 03:24:54 pm »

I feel silly replying to my own post but wanted to share my progress in case this mic is on. I went into settings and disabled "Enable GPS" and "Enable Accelerometer" and that eliminated MANY columns of data. I'm down to 43 columns of data, there seems to always be at least 3 or so columns of data associated with the same PID. I'm not sure if they impact performance of if there's a way to turn some of them off. For example I requested FORD.ENGINE.IAT and I get a column for the timestamp, a column for the data in fahrenheit and a column for the data in celsius. On the data logging screen, I requested the data in English units and have it showing F* but it still logs both. If it's no impact on performance, I don't care. I'm still only requesting to log 8 PIDs and only getting a new row of data at about .8 seconds and that is not updating all of the PIDs. Until the PID is refreshed, it just repeats the same value. I'm also not sure how many of the extra columns are related to PIDs I requested and possibly at no cost to performance. For example I requested CALC.AFR_ACTUAL and it looks like I got possibly 8 columns from that. I also requested CALC.BOOST_PRESSURE and it looks like I might have gotten 8 columns of data from that. I also see some PIDs I didn't request like SAE.MAP, SAE.BARO, SAE.WO2S11_B.LAMBDA and CALC.MAP. Plus it is logging some of the constant PIDs after I disabled persistent PIDs in settings. Any ideas?
Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:49:31 pm »

Turning off GPS, accelerometer, and persistent PIDs should disable any PIDs you haven't selected. However, many PIDs are calculations that require other data, such as CALC.BOOST_PRESSURE. CALC.BOOST_PRESSURE will include SAE.MAP, SAE.BARO, and maybe SAE.MAF and SAE.IAT.

The extra columns for timestamps and English/Metric values of the same PID do not effect data logging speed.

What vehicle are you connecting to for this, and what OBD-II hardware are you using? Many older vehicles use the ISO9141 or J1850 protocols which are pretty slow (usually 8-10 PIDs/sec).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: