Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 11, 2017, 04:09:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Resetting B1231 crash detected airbag code?  (Read 85722 times)
olsofti

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2009, 03:06:44 pm »

I can't seem to reset this code after repairing everything else on a 2005 Ford Focus.
The dealer service tech says that he can reset if for $100,so if they can why can't I?
Has anyone else reset this code?
Please refer to my other post "Airbag light on,but no codes" for more history on this problem.
Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:14:54 pm »

Jeffytune replied to your other post here:
http://www.palmerperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=1234.msg5150#msg5150

We think this may be the case here.
olsofti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:43:37 pm »

Ok,problem solved,sort of!
 I sent the module to Myairbags and they cleared the code.
The cost was $55 dosen't seem like much but that is the main reason that I bought the Scanxl.To save that money and the 3 or 4 days waiting to get the module back.The idea was the Scanxl would pay for itself after a few resets.It seems to work ok on the older vehicles,but this is the third 2005 up that it wouldn't clear (2 Focus and 1 Ranger).
I'd like to hear from anyone who has been able to clear or not clear this code,and what you did.  Thanks
olsofti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 10:23:36 pm »

Anyone?
 Huh
Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 03:21:57 pm »

Exactly what year, make, model, enigne type are the vehicles with this problem?
olsofti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 07:43:29 pm »

Both of the Ford Focus's were 2005, 2.0 4 cylinder.The Ford Ranger was a 2008, 3.0 v6.

Sent the Focus modules myairbags.com to be reset.
Had a dealership do the Ranger.
camaro1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 12:13:13 pm »

you can not reset crash detected, or any crash codes,, these are hard set after an air bag deployment, they are meant to be stored and all the info from the crash sensors/ seat belts/ speed are also stored,, just in case the auto manufacturer ends up in court over a crash,, all that data is stored in the air bag module

airbag modules are meant to be a 1 time deployment, after that they are supposed to be replaced

these places you send them to, that clear out the crash data and codes are really not doing you any favors,, what if that air bag module doesnt deploy the airbags the next time a crash happens,,, who is going to be responsible for the injury's or deaths

these places just do a complete erase and re-flash of the eprom in the sir module,, but they have no way of knowing if the module will fire another set of bags correctly
olsofti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 05:10:00 pm »

That's funny!As recent as this morning I reset or cleared a crash detected B1231 code on a 2002 Mazda pickup.
However I could not reset the same code on a 2007 Ford ranger.I will send a tech log to Brian to see if he can tell me why.

The reason for resetting the module is to remove the previous crash data on a repaired vehicle,so that it will record the data in the event of another crash.
I can't say if  every crash will deploy the airbags after a module reset but I do know of at least 2 that worked after the reset on those vehicles,that did.I also see many front end crashes on previously unwrecked (according to Carfax) vehicles that the airbags didn't deploy.
Also,there are many companies that offer this service,are you saying that they including Palmer is doing something wrong?
This is directly from the Palmer site:

ScanXL Ford Enhanced Diagnostics Add-on
The Ford enhanced diagnostics add-on supports all Ford, Lincoln, & Mercury vehicles from 1996 - 2009. In addition to giving you the ability to read and clear codes on powertrain, ABS, airbag, hybrid, transmission and other proprietary systems, it also adds thousands of new parameters and sensors for both gasoline and diesel vehicles .
camaro1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 09:42:34 pm »

clearing codes for an airbag problem is fine,, clearing crash data is generally not ok,, working at a gm / vw dealer i can tell you that when a gm or vw air bag goes off you can not clear out the crash data even with the dealer tools
abbas_fr

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 10:12:32 am »

I have a Ford 2006
I met an accident sometime back, The airbags did not open since the impact was from the passenger side and the seat was empty,
Now ever since the accident there is a airbag light illuminating.
I took my car to a Auto electrician and he tried to fix it says he fixed a couple of codes but cannot repair the B1231 code, He thinks i need to buy the whole new system a metal rectangular box he showed me.  but i think since there was not much damage to the car it need only setting
Please help me to resolve this issue
MEL1ROCKY

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:31:44 pm »

THE B1231 CODE MEANS THE MEMORY IN THE AIR BAG MODULE IS FULL AND CAN NOT BE CLEARED, I'VE HAD THE SAME ISSUE WITH AN 07 FOCUS.
REPLACE THE MODULE AND WHATEVER SEAT BELT PRETENSIONER(S) WERE IN USE AT THE TIME OF CRASH, LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF ON IT'S OWN.
YOU MAY NEED TO HAVE IT RESET, BUT MOST LIKELY IT WILL GO OFF

GOOD LUCK!
Jeffrey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 11:28:28 am »

I'm having this problem. Huh Hopefully this will help solve the problem.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:31:20 am by Jeffrey » Logged

zmiller

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 08:47:53 pm »

Have a 2008 Ford Ranger 2.3 with factory undeployed air bags. After dealer replaced lower front air foil if one could call it that for scuffs the air bag light is on. Dealer said they would correct the problem and then proceded to replace cabin seat belts passanger and driver ($595.00). Replaced air bag computer ($600.00). Then they decided to change a modual under the passanger side seat another (470.00). Now they tell me I need a new seat(s). Should I have them just put the original lower front air foil back on and dispute the part(s) replacements?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: