Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
September 21, 2017, 02:19:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery drain - why?  (Read 333 times)
Dosvader

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2017, 05:25:47 pm »

Why  is dash command so battery intensive? I only have to connect and run it for 15 minutes and I've used half my battery on my iPhone 6.  I am not even sure that if I had my phone plugged in to the car charging that would be able to keep up.  Is there some settings that I am missing?
Herought

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 03:37:42 am »

DashCommand is a very CPU intensive app, if you're just concerned about battery use in the background you should turn off Accelometer and GPS updates, and in the Vehicle Manager you could try increasing the Minimum Bus Idle Time. This should stop DashCommand from running as fast as it possibly can, and this slow down might help your battery use. It will slow down data logging though. I'd maybe start with something like 100 (its in ms) and adjust it up or down from there depending on how you want to balance battery use and data logging speed.

Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:32:50 am »

Most of the battery drain comes from constantly drawing gauges as fast as possible, but a fair amount also comes from keeping the WiFi working 100% of the time communicating with the vehicle. You can use the Data Grid to avoid drawing gauges, and increasing the Minimum Bus Idle Time in the Vehicle Manager will slow down communication with the vehicle (0 is as fast as possible). I believe the Gauges screen will be more battery friendly than the Dashboards screen, but not by much. If you do increase the Minimum Bus Idle Time, you'll likely want to turn off Persistent PIDs in Settings as well, but be aware that it will no longer record mpg/trip data unless you are looking at those screens.

Like Herought mentioned, turning off GPS and Accelerometer data will also have a positive effect.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: