Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 11, 2017, 12:20:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux the easy way  (Read 1811 times)
krh156

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:14:44 am »

I hope some will find this helpful. The purpose of writing to give all that ask about Linux a proven alternative.
I will explain each item and why it is useful.
Currently using PCLinuxOS 2010 on a desktop. (use your own choice here)
1) I have all Scanxl-Pro and Ford Enhanced installed on Windows XP Home Edition.
2) I have a Magic Jack on a usb installed in windows.
3) Now using VMWare Player.

There are many items in Linux that will handle Windows XP. I choose VMWare Player because it does NOT stumble at all the usb items your may connect. After once being installed with the player, the usb items should remain attached when using it. It will complain if there is a change in configuration, but will not lock up or stall. You can obtain the VMWare Player for free. Then install (your version of windows with license key) your usb items. The VMWare Player has a hardware set up configuration tab that will allow your internet connection from host (in my case PCLinuxOS). The player does master over the host when running and collect these items. This consumes much ram memory.

Everything has a plus and a minus. The minus on this set up is the need for lots of memory. I ran this set up on a laptop with 752 MB of ram, but proved to be too slow. The desktop has 2GB of memory. This allows the gauges to function. This desktop will go in the garage which is the plan. We will see how it turns out. I had to install Windows XP with SP3 on the laptop to allow all my functions in Scanxl to do real time.
I hope this is helpful.

Ken
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: