Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
January 16, 2018, 08:12:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which OBDII connector?  (Read 10413 times)
vettesage

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2011, 05:52:30 am »

Hello,

So, I'm really wanting this DashCommand because it looks interesting and I've always enjoyed fiddling with cars. Plenty of reasons to want this thing, so I won't waste time on that.

My question is, I've been searching high and low and found all sorts of OBDII connectors and some get good reviews, some get bad reviews, some I have no clue. I really don't want to spend an arm and a leg on this mainly because I don't boost my cars or anything really intensive, this is mostly just for fun.

So, what would be a good OBDII connector that I could get for say under $99? That is reliable and is going to work with this thing.

Second question... can DashCommand read fuel levels in a car (like how much gas you have left)? I have read it can calculate Horsepower, can it also calculate Torque? What all sorts of things can DashCommand tell me that would be good to know for most people (i.e. not Boost, Exhaust Gas Temp, etc)... I know it has Horsepower, Speed ... and? I apologize if these are dumb questions, but hey I figured y'all would be the best to ask!
vettesage

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:45:42 pm »

There is the Kiwi Wifi, which is $149 (I don't need all those extra sensors and such, I'm not going in that deep). I also see the GoPoint GL1, which is plugged directly into the iPhone 4 and is only $99/$100.

Is there any sort of benefit to the one that plugs directly into the iPhone 4, since it isn't wireless? Would that be a little quicker or easier to set up?
VegasNateG8

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:40:59 pm »

The Kiwi wifi that costs $150 is the cheaper non IMFD version. That is the one you want if you don't plan on adding sensors. I have been using both versions for some time now and they work great in my opinion. I have the Gopoint cable too and I will be nice and say I did not like how it performed.
larry1981

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:10:21 am »

If you want to use the OBDII connector with an iPad/iPhone/iPod, you need to get a Wifi OBDII diagsnostic tool as the PLX Kiwi Wifi. As this device is expansive, you can get a much cheaper adapter on ebay, let say almost half the price as of today (search for: obdii wifi). I had the chance to test these cheap adapters. There is some problem to connect using Dashcommand and FUZZYCar, but using Rev, it looks like it works 100% (or near that) as their software seems to auto-reconnect on disconnection not like other softwares I did try. I would say these cheap Wifi adapter as not reliable, so it is ok for someone who wants to use it for fun. All of these cheap devices seems to use the same chip as they share the same network name whatever is wrote on the device itself. They all share the same case design too. Please note that Wifi adapter is hard to connect to a Windows 7 computer using adhoc connection as Windows 7 have a protectin that prevent some kind of devices to connect when the device do not provide Internet access. I was not able to connect to these cheap adapter. Did not get a chance to test with Windows XP, but I am pretty sure it would connect with no change to the default settings.

If you want to use the OBDII connector with an Android device (2.2+), you need to get a Bluetooth OBDII diagnostic tool as the PLX Kiwi Wifi. As this device is expansive, you can get  a much cheaper adapter on ebay, let say almost 1/4 the price as of today (search for: obdii bluetooth 1.4). I did try the one with a black sticker. The device is 100% black with write text on it. It seems only the seller ed_c_yu is selling them on ebay. The 100% black device is not the cheaper (about 10$ more than the cheaper), but it is the only one I did test and that I can say I did not get any problems with either Android tablet or laptop. Unfortunately, Dashcommand is not supporting my device's OS for now (Android 3.1), so I need to wait for them to solve the issue. But with other softwares available in the Android Market and using ScanXL on my laptop, everything is working nicely with no dieconnection problems like with the Wifi adapter. Also, Windows 7 allow to connect to this Bluetooth device easily with no limitation as for the Wifi device. If you don't have Bluetooth on your laptop, you can buy  bluetooth adapter for less than 2$ on internet, so don't be that cheap ;-)

Wish this is helping you find what you need.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: