Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
January 16, 2018, 11:59:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: problems/questions with dashcommand 2.9.0 iphone 4 ios 5  (Read 9419 times)
fanoftheliving

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2011, 01:48:37 pm »

Hello -

I purchased Dashcommand about 3 weeks ago (as well as Rev and FuzzyCar).  It appeared to me that DashCommand is the better software because of the ability enter various complex data into the system.  But I have to say I am getting a little bit frustrated with this software.  I am hoping someone can respond to my questions below.

I am using PLX wifi device in a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback.  Iphone 4 with iOs 5. 

1. By far the biggest problem with this thing is that the instant MPG is not accurate.  When I first started it up after buying it, it was mildly optimistic, giving me an average reading of approx 37 MPG (my car gets anywhere from 32 to 36 calculated by hand).  I went into the fuel setting and clicked on the button that allows me to refuel (it does not allow the actual mileage and gallons reading to be changed the first time).  At my second tank of gas I entered all the figures, the car now tells me that I am getting 14MPG!!!!!  Is there a way to reset this, and go to the beginning?  Is there a way to adjust the correction factor!!???  At the time of this writing this feature is useless.  Please tell me how to correct this situation.

2. Enetring the appropriate gallons and price per gallon is ridiculously hard.  Pressing the big plus and small plus sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't.  It took me forever to enter what I wanted.

3. Is there a user manual?  There seems to be no help for this program.

4. After downloading the new version 2.9, if I start it when the phone is plugged into the USB input of my car (I have the Ford Sync system) the program never starts, it just hangs on a screen that has a large orange down arrow.  If I disconnect the USB wire, restart the program then it does launch.
5. The program does not always launch, and sometimes hangs.  I can usually get it to startby removing it from the active program list in iOs, but it is a pain. 

Thanks in advance. 
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 10:57:32 pm »

1 - You will need to monitor with DashCommand for the entire tank of gas. If you only monitor part of the tank with DashCommand, but do the fillup procedure and tell it the whole tank's worth, it will be thrown off. If you did this you will want to reset the fuel calculations.

To reset: On the dashboard, the 3rd tab is the "trip stats" screen. Push that tab twice to bring up the menu. The menu shows a back arrow and a reset arrow. The reset arrow will reset the fuel and trip calculations.

2 - Yes. We are aware of this and working on a way to improve this system.

3 - We don't have a manual at this time.

4 - This is a bug. Thank you for reporting it. I will take a look.

5 - Is this problem related to number 4? Is there anything you can identify that causes this problem?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:00:49 pm by jriggs » Logged
fanoftheliving

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:56:28 pm »

Thank you for your response.  I am a developer myself  (including iphone), and I want to be as helpful as possible.  Feel free to ask me anything you need.

1. The problem with this is that it is practically impossible to 100% monitor the entire gas tank (I thought that this was the case) because the system is not 100% reliable.  For instance when a phone call comes in, everything is interrupted (I have not tried this on 2.9.0).  Also the connection does not always work (see #5).  I will reset and try again, but I wish there was some way of doing this a bit differently.

2. Great, thanks. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

3. Ok.  Perhaps there should be a "how to" sticky.
4. No prob.
5. No, this is different.  I will monitor the behavior for a few days and get back to you.  I think it may be a bit better since the update to 2.9.0, although I know it has given me a "Error reading OBD..."
fanoftheliving

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 05:30:21 pm »

In addition, I tried the following.  On my drive home I exited dash command (to make a phone call).  When I re-launched the program, the dashboards were all frozen.  It allowed me to go back to the menu, and re-connect (this worked).  I tried this several times - same pattern.  Under these conditions it would be impossible to keep it running 100% of the time while driving to correctly adjust the instant MPG rating.  Is this by design, or is this a bug? Anyway, you see what I mean.
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:24:33 pm »

Thanks for your help with this.

1 - If you don't use the fillup screen, it should still be fairly accurate. Have you tried that? We're discussing your thread post and as to whether there is a way to make this easier. Or whether we should just remove the fillup screen.

3 - Might be a good idea. Or a FAQ.

As for your recent post about the dashboard freezing. When you swicth out of DashCommand, it goes into background memory. We are unable to continue running in the background, and so our connection times out and disconnects. Since we cannot continue running there is nothing we can do to stay connected.
fanoftheliving

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:27:03 am »

Thank you for the prompt replies.

As far as accuracy goes, let me make a few comments. 

First of all I really like the instant mpg layout of the default dashboard - very nice. 

After playing with both Rev, and Dashcommand, I believe DashCommand to be more accurate and more informative.

While Dashcommand is fairly close to the truth, I believe (seat of the pants method) to be slightly optimistic.  My average MPG reads 34 right now, when the truth is somewhere between 31 and 32.  I have no way to verify directly the instant MPG, so I am going on what average says.  I will keep playing with it. 

Question A: Is there a way to reset the average MPG?  The fuel dashboard is "aged" 0-3 minutes, etc., and I love this, but is there a way to reset it completely?   That way I could see if average matches the car computer (which is very accurate) after a fillup. 

Question B: Is there a way for you to tell me what are all the ingredients are in calculating instant MPG.  The reason I ask is that you have a lot of complex parameters in the vehicle screen, such as the drag coefficient, etc.  But I don't have ALL the parameters (I can't find the frontal area of my car anywhere, probably because it is too new, and the Ford manual does not have that).  So I am curious if I am missing something crucial to make it even more accurate.

Question C: Lastly. I like the default dashboards, but it seems to me that there is one thing missing : voltage.  That's a very important measurement that I would like to have on the default dashboards, this tells me how my battery is doing, and if my charging system is working properly (pumping out 14.4 V approx) and what the voltage is at rest (without enginge running).  FuzzyCar (an inferior product to DashCommand) has it on their main screen  (forgive me).  Anyway to make that happen? 

Let me know if you need me to test anything for you - I would be very willing to do that.  I have 2 cars, a 2002 Honda S2000 and the 2012 Ford Focus HB. 
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:30:37 am »

Let me look into A and B.

As for C, we don't plan to add that to the default dashboard. You could create a modified Tuxedo skin yourself using our editor which is available on our website. Help for that can be found at DashXL.net.
fanoftheliving

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 08:18:38 am »

Thank you for your prompt response. I will check back.

Here is an experience I had this morning.  I got into the car, put the key in the ignition, but did not start the car.  I took out my iphone, went into settings to make sure the wifi was connected.  Then I went into Dashcommand, and tapped on connect.  It gave me an OBDC error: connection lost.  I tapped on it again, and it connected successfully.

I will keep playing with it to see if I can detect a pattern. 
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 05:45:06 pm »

A - Should be the same way as resetting the fuel calculations:
  To reset: On the dashboard, the 3rd tab is the "trip stats" screen. Push that tab twice to bring up the menu. The menu shows a back arrow and a reset arrow. The reset arrow will reset the fuel and trip calculations.

B - Try looking at our CALC PIDs reference. http://www.palmerperformance.com/download/CALC_PID_Reference.pdf
  You will be interested in CALC.FC.IFC

Also, we were able to get a car that exhibits your original problem #4. So we'll be looking to fix that pretty quickly.

Beyond fixing problem #4, is there anything else you are expecting from me at the moment?
fanoftheliving

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 12:33:07 pm »

Thank you for responding.

A. I may not be doing something right.  I can reset the counters in the trip stats portion of the display, no problem.  But that has no affect on the instant mpg screen.  The instant mpg screen has a nice display showing 0-3 hours, as well as the average MPG.  That's what I would like to reset.  That does not seem to be working, or I may be not doing it correctly.

B.  I will look thru that, it's good information.  That will take me a while to weed thru that, but it is useful.

For now that's it.  Thank you for your quick response. 
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 04:10:28 pm »

A. Yep. You were right. I was mistaken. It's really the second tab that has the fuel reset. So press the second tab twice and that will bring up another reset button. This one is for the instant MPG page.

Note that the instant MPG and average MPG are done using different calculations, and won't exactly measure up even when reset.
fanoftheliving

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 08:26:32 am »

Ahhhh!  that was it, I had no idea that there was thas functionality.  Need a manual (hint hint).  Smiley

Thank you.  I will play with that, appreciate it.  Next time I re-fill, I will reset the average mpg and see how it measures up to the car computer (which is reasonably accurate). 
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 09:05:05 am »

Your welcome. By the way you also might be interested in this pdf. http://www.palmerperformance.com/download/Vehicle_Settings.pdf
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: