Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
January 17, 2018, 03:54:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SAE.FLI and SAE.AAT on Mazda MX-5 NC  (Read 9305 times)
The Don

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2012, 03:38:43 am »

it appears DashCommand is unable to read some data that is actually available on the Miata.

I have recently installed DashCommand (latest version) in the following environment:

- Mazda MX-5 NC1 (mk3) 2007 EU-spec
- GoPoint GL1
- iPhone 4S

By reading through the console, I keep getting the following warnings (amongst others, like SAE.SHRTFT# and SAE.LONGFT#):

- Warning: Not scanning unsupported parameter: SAE.FLI
- Warning: Not scanning unsupported parameter: SAE.AAT

But I know from other systems (ScanGauge II) that both Fuell Level and Ambient Air Temp are available, albeit with peculiar codes.

Is there any way I can access such data with DashCommand?

For your convenience, I will include the ScanGauge II settings to access these data on the Miata:

Ambient Air Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
TXD: 07DF0146
RXF: 04410546
RXD: 2808
MTH: 00090005FFD8
NAM: AIR
Note: Use a MTH value of 000100010000 if you would like it in Degrees Celsius.

Fuel Level (%)
TXD: 07DF012F
RXF: 0441052F
MTH: 006400FF0000
NAM: FLV
Cody@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 01:05:40 pm »

Try entering the vehicle manager and at the bottom click "Validate PIDs"
The Don

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:18:01 pm »

Thanks but that is not of much help: I have already been testing out different timeout settings, reconnecting the device, and validating pid's time after time, with no luck.

I have filled all the settings and most warnings disappeared, but the two PID's for FLI and AAT aren't being found...
The Don

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 05:34:01 am »

I am still waiting on a useful reply for this.

After spending the money to purchase the app, I'd expect a little bit of care.

Is there any hope you might update the app with added custom PID forms in the Vehicle Profile page for FLI and AAT?
Without these, DashCommand fails to give me the functionality I purchased it for in the first place.

Thank you
Cody@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 11:39:47 am »

Your vehicle does not support SAE.FLI or SAE.AAT, that is why you don't see it.  We have considered adding enhancements to DashCommand, but we are just not at a point that we can execute that at this time.
The Don

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:37:53 am »

This is just not cool. Your software is still in Alpha stage, you are evidently still stuck in development stage, your documentation for developers is practically nonexistent, and you have the courage to charge a HUGE amount of money on the App Store, acting as if it were a full featured software, with support, documentation and a base of developers for new themes (which suck by the way). I guess you are following the new trend... if you tried to pull this off a few years back, you would have faced an ocean of enraged customers.

When I was in this business I used to do it in a fairly different way.
Luis Fernando

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 08:31:57 am »

The reported problem - the car REPORTS the values (as my Nissan does) and your software does not recognize it - is the same I have. The vaiables are the same related to fuel level and ambient air temp. Why not taking your customers more seriously and investigating the issue deeply? We would appreciate to have better support from the developers of such an expensive app!
Cody@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:43:30 pm »

It really is simple, we support OBD-II generic data.  If your car manufacturer chooses to not report fuel level or air temp over an SAE PID, we don't see it.  For what you are suggesting, we would have to get data for every single vehicle manufacturer, then every single model, then to every single PCM ID and add all of the manufacturer supported PIDs.  That is similar to what the scantool companies have to do.  A Snap-On Modis is $4,995 to have all that data, do you think anyone wants to pay that for DashCommand?  In the future we would like to add an affordable amount of enhanced PIDs for the current info we have (Ford, GM, Mazda), but for now we are at OBD-II generic capabilities.
Luis Fernando

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 10:42:11 pm »

So, an intelligent solution while we are not in that pinkish future tha you foresee, would be calculating the fuel level from the information that the user filled up and the fuel flow to estimate the fuel level and the distance-to-go. Simple, isn't it?
Why not also offer an option of displaying km/lt instead of lt/100km?
I am a marketing teacher and researcher of a respected university. I recommend you a different way to communicate to your customers. They move your business, they can recommend or destroy your product on the social networks. Think about!
The Don

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 02:46:25 am »

Well it appears business strategy errors were made, this is still a phase in which private funding should have been adopted to avoid charging customers for a totally incomplete product.
At this stage, customers could, and would, provide feedback and invaluable data, by TESTING your software (because this is what we are doing...). While DashCommand is not an open source project, supporting enhanced PID's is something that could be achieved with the support of users.

It's understandable that DashCommand is not a professional tool, and that it can't provide professional scan features found in applications that cost in excess of 5000$. BUT, if it were marketed for what it is, a tool in development (call it Beta... even though it is not even close to a beta stage), and charged a reasonable price (no more than 5$ on the App Store), clearly stating it is all work-in-progress.... you would probably have a rich client base of power users, with the will and skills to test and enhance your software's features, and provide specific information on vehicles and systems that would be otherwise difficult to find.
Instead, you are stuck with many normal users, that shelled money thinking they were purchasing a finished product, ready to use. They have less abilities to provide useful feedback.

If you browse around forums, tuners and piston heads are talking very badly about DashCommand, suggesting to steer clear of it. This is not due to the current state of your software, in my idea... it is plainly due to your naive strategy.
Cody@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 11:28:29 am »

For your convenience, I will include the ScanGauge II settings to access these data on the Miata:

Ambient Air Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
TXD: 07DF0146
RXF: 04410546
MTH: 00090005FFD8
NAM: AIR
Note: Use a MTH value of 000100010000 if you would like it in Degrees Celsius.

Fuel Level (%)
TXD: 07DF012F
RXF: 0441052F
MTH: 006400FF0000
NAM: FLV

I had our engineer pull our data vs this.  We found that DashCommand is using this exact PID data on your vehicle and your vehicle is reporting that it is not supported on your vehicle.
Scraggzy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 03:42:53 pm »

Quote from: The Don link=topic=5146.msg14737#msg14737 date=
if it were marketed for what it is, a tool in development (call it Beta... even though it is not even close to a beta stage), and charged a reasonable price (no more than 5$ on the App Store), clearly stating it is all work-in-progress.... you would probably have a rich client base of power users, with the will and skills to test and enhance your software's features, and provide specific information on vehicles and systems that would be otherwise difficult to find.
Instead, you are stuck with many normal users, that shelled money thinking they were purchasing a finished product, ready to use. They have less abilities to provide useful feedback.

If you browse around forums, tuners and piston heads are talking very badly about DashCommand, suggesting to steer clear of it. This is not due to the current state of your software, in my idea... it is plainly due to your naive strategy.

I have to agree with this user. The fact I found this page is because I am having exactly the same issue. With the app for sale cheaper more users could probably solve some of these issues with you saving lots of development costs on your part, delivering a better product and build up a good reputation. Bear in mind that the majority of the users will be of technical background due to the specific nature of the product.

The only reason I have gone for dash command over the other much cheaper softwares is the Pioneer Appradio integration. Even this is far from a smooth operation though In this case it is more to do with the Pioneer software and Apple restrictions.

Dunchien

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 02:42:57 pm »

I understand that it is not possible for Palmer Performance Engineering to support all specific PIDs of all the vehicles. This thread has been opened by a Miata (what a nice car !) owner, for my part I would like to display Toyota specific PIDs values...

Therefore, I have a suggestion, would it be possible to had, in the GUI of Dashcommand, a screen to parametrize specific PIDs requests ? By associating a name (and perhaps a type ?) to these "custom PIDs", they would be able to be integrated in custom dashboards (which are a really nice idea !).

What do you think about this customization ability, guys ?
Luis Fernando

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 11:03:36 pm »

That would be a nice solution fur us, owners of japanese cars, that are not 100% satisfied because DC does not allow us to have fuel information on our dashboards. As I have academic backgroun on software and systems development, I can garantee it is not difficult to implement (for the most popular japanese brands in US) and will satisfy a lot of people.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: