Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
January 16, 2018, 08:05:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Options for connecting to Pioneer's App Radio2.  (Read 10123 times)
Mac_forme

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:10:33 pm »

I'm considering purchasing the newest App Radio. Honestly, Dash Command is a major factor in my choosing of this unit. However, it's somewhat unclear what my options are for connecting my vehicle to the Dash Command application.

For instance; Since the Dash Command application is installed on my iPhone 4s and my phone is plugged into the App Radio, can I use the OBDLink (USB) 425301 and plug it into the USB port in the rear of the App Radio?

This setup would be preferable especially since I read where the newest update of the app will have the auto connect feature. I'll just plug it into my radio and tuck the cables under the dash.
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:54:20 pm »

The iPhone plugs into the App Radio. The app radio comes with that connector.

The OBDLink actually plugs into the OBD-II port of your vehicle, which is most likely underneath the steering wheel. The OBDLink doesn't have a USB option for the iPhone however. If you go with OBDLink you'll want the WIFI interface. Since it is WIFI, you do not need to plug in any more wires.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:21:05 am by John@PPE » Logged
Mac_forme

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:15:05 pm »

So the obdlink has to communicate through the iPhone and then uses the app radio screen to display the information? Simply plugging my phone into the radio unit, via the supplied cable cannot connect my phone to the obd sensor even if the Palmer obdlink USB is plugged into the rear USB port of the radio?
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 10:25:55 am »

It sounds like you understand it now. The App Radio has no knowledge of OBD, so connecting those do won't do you any good.

If you don't want to use wifi, GoPoint also sells a BT1 that uses a bluetooth connection. Again there is no extra wires.
Mac_forme

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:38:13 pm »

I'm concerned about lag. Which connectivity is the best? I've read posts on other forums about delays of several seconds between the displayed information and real-time performance.
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 01:04:43 pm »

There are a lot of factors that go into lag. The OBDLink wifi is supposed to be pretty good on that end. But other factors come into play such as the phone/tablet you are using, and how many engine parameters you are monitoring.

So I don't know for sure which is the least laggy, or which will work best for you, but I'll suggest the OBDLink wifi as a good fit.
Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 01:21:52 pm »

We've done some testing about the WiFi lag of different interfaces. As a general guideline, the price you pay for the interface almost directly corresponds to the WiFi lag it will have.

The OBDLink WiFi was the best ELM WiFi that we tested (out of 5 or 6 different interfaces), with the $5 eBay ELM clones being the worst (by a very very large amount).
Mac_forme

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:14:57 pm »

My vehicle is a 2010 F250. If I'm spending 450 on the head unit and 70 for installation and another 50 for Dash Command and 180 for the wifi obdlink, I want it to work. Correction, I want it to work like it should. Like it was meant to be in my truck.

Do you guys have any hard numbers for the wifi and 4s while you were doing your product development? You mentioned quality of hardware plays a factor in the amount of lag. Top end iphone with 64 gigs of memory and a fairly new domestic truck. I just want to know what I'm getting into before I drop the cash.

When you talk about the number of engine parameters being monitored, does that refer to the amount of sensors on the truck or the app calculating and displaying 2 metrics vs. 25 ?
Cliffman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 10:43:00 am »

I have the App2 radio and I'm interested in the Dash Command. Can you listen to music while the DC is displayed?
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 12:34:45 am »

Richard posted a video that might be instructional on the forum. But I don't think it's an actual App Radio. It seems to predate the App Radio.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=5366.0

Mac, let me try a test and get an actual lag number, which will be the number of seconds between when the car revs and when the RPM goes up.

The numbers of parameters being monitored refers to the amount that DashCommand is monitoring. So this is set by the user, to a point. For example if you are viewing speed and rpm on your dashboard, both parameters need to be updated. The OBDLink only sends one parameter at a time, so having 2 is slower than only speed, for example. But it's not unusual to monitor 30 parameters or more.
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 12:35:43 am »

Cliffman, I think you can listen to music, but I am not certain. I'll check tomorrow.
Mac_forme

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 05:00:27 pm »

Thanks for the update John. I'll be waiting to hear what you come up with.
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 07:15:46 pm »

You can listen to music on the App Radio.

Here's a video showing lag on DashCommand. Note that the Tuxedo dashboard, which is our default dashboard, is pretty slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RAeHhfgNb4&feature=youtu.be
Mac_forme

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 08:36:25 pm »

Thanks for the video on the lag. What setup did you have? The wifi or Bluetooth. 

I don't know much about your skins, but that looked basic black. If there's not much to it, why's it as slow as it is. The best I could tell it was about 1 sec behind. Also it looked like there were 3 displays showing on the iPad screen.
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 08:57:06 pm »

The video was using the iPad 3 with OBDLink wifi.

It just shows the RPM for comparison with the in-dash gauge, but less than half of the iPad is showing. So there's more to it than you can see there. I'm not entirely sure why it's slow, but there are a lot of parameters that it measures, and I've been told that some of the graphics it has slows it down.
Cheule

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 07:54:36 am »

If Tuxedo is considered a slow skin, what would be considered a fast one?
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 08:54:14 am »

Weston was doing some testing with the Boost skin: http://www.dashxl.net/dashboard.php?dashboard=251

He posted his results here: http://www.palmerperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=5068.30

So for example he found on an iPad3, the Tuxedo dashboard drew 4 frames per second, while the Boost dashboard was drawing 14 frames per second.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: