Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 13, 2017, 05:33:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ELM 327 Bluetooth + iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1.1) + roqyBT4 + roqyODB4 + DC not working  (Read 109962 times)
tyman475

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2012, 08:23:55 am »

- ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner (Picture:http://www.prlog.org/11421197-soliport-elm-327-bluetooth-obdii-obd2-scanner.jpg)
- iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1.1)
- roqyBT4 (License purchased)
- roqyODB4
- DashCommand (purchased) (v3.2.1 Build 3078)

1) Plug ELM 327 into OBDII port.
2) Start car.
3) Configure roqyBT4.
    - Bluetooth OFF.
    - Configuration
        - Current device type selection: Generic OBD token
        - Device PIN code: 1234
        - MTK workaround: OFF
        - Automatic pairing On data request: ON
    - Bluetooth ON
    - "Devices:" shows [VN           *Not connected >]
    - Press VN device and it connects
    - Goes to connected screen and shows IP:127.0.0.1 Port:35000
4) Back to homescreen
5) Start DashCmd
    - Settings
        - Under Connection
            - Auto reconnect: 30 seconds
            - OBD-II interface type: ELM
            - ODB-II data port: tcp://127.0.0.1:35000
            - Aux input type: None
            - Aux input only: OFF
    - DashCmd homescreen I press Connection and get error: "OBD-II Error Interface communication failure."

If I go back to roqyBT4 I see that Bluetooth is now OFF.

It seems like every time I turn on bluetooth and connect to my ELM 327 and go to DashCmd, DashCmd tries to own the bluetooth and turns it off or something, but its configured to use tcp connection.

What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:30:17 am by tyman475 » Logged
Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:55:25 am »

DashCommand doesn't touch Bluetooth on iOS, in any way. Using roqyBT does all of the Bluetooth-related things.

It sounds like DashCommand is connecting to your interface, but getting unexpected behavior from it. Can you get us a tech log of this? To get a tech log, (before you connect) go to the Console > Debugging Options, and Enable Debug. Then re-create this problem, and go to the Console > Debugging Options > Email Tech Log.
tyman475

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:08:34 pm »

DashCommand doesn't touch Bluetooth on iOS, in any way. Using roqyBT does all of the Bluetooth-related things.

It sounds like DashCommand is connecting to your interface, but getting unexpected behavior from it. Can you get us a tech log of this? To get a tech log, (before you connect) go to the Console > Debugging Options, and Enable Debug. Then re-create this problem, and go to the Console > Debugging Options > Email Tech Log.

I will try and get a Tech Log.

What makes it sound like DashCommand is connecting to the tcp interface?  It seems to be failing at that point.

A question for someone that has used roqyBT4 with an ELM 327 device:
Is my configuration for roqyBT4 correct for this device?
Current device type selection: Generic OBD token
Device PIN code: 1234
MTK workaround: OFF
Automatic pairing On data request: ON
After turning on Bluetooth the Device name of VN is shown
Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:22:10 pm »

DashCommand wouldn't say "Interface Communication Failure" unless it had already opened the TCP port, and tried to send data to the interface. Without a tech log, I can't know if it got any farther than that though. If it wasn't able to open the port at all, it would have given the error "OBD-II Interface Not Found".
tyman475

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 12:49:20 pm »

DashCommand wouldn't say "Interface Communication Failure" unless it had already opened the TCP port, and tried to send data to the interface. Without a tech log, I can't know if it got any farther than that though. If it wasn't able to open the port at all, it would have given the error "OBD-II Interface Not Found".
Good to know!

After doing steps 1 through 5 from my first post I am now getting: "OBD-II Error, Error detecting OBD-II protocol." Picture below

Here is the emailed log:
DashCommand Techlog
Size: 0.046 MB
Date/Time: Sep 19 2012 12:28 PM

Sent from DashCommand v3.2.1 (Build 3078) on my iPhone.

Attachment:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61488/techlog.tr
tyman475

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 03:05:15 pm »

Any information from the Tech log?
Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:19:35 pm »

DashCommand is connecting to your interface just fine, but it fails to connect to the vehicle (as if your vehicle isn't OBD-II). What vehicle are you trying to connect to?
tyman475

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 07:48:08 am »

2005 Chevy Cobalt
Lukas

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 08:27:44 pm »

Hello, I too have this same problem and I have tried all settings possible, as well as installing, reinstalling all things over and over again.
I did have this working once last year in May on my iPhone 4S 5.1.1 with the same elm237 bluetooth device on my 2012 subaru forester.
i had roqyBT4 and the OBD add on set to OBDkey 1234 password, mtk on, and i was able to pair and use it just fine.

i stopped using it for some time, updated my Dashcommand app over the months, and i thought i'd play around with it again today but cannot get it to work on Dashcommand.

I am convinced that dashcommand is killing the bluetooth connection to the obd2 device.

I load up roqybt4, i connect to the bluetooth OBD2 device, and it will stay connected for some time.
i can turn the screen on and off, load other apps, etc etc etc, and it will stay connected to the device UNTIL i load up dashcommand and try to connect.  that instantly un-pairs the OBD2 device making me have to go back into roqy and pair again.
i've also used a backgrounder program to make sure roqy is still running constantly in the background.  but it doesn't matter, once dashcommand tries to connect, it instantly kills the pairing.

here you can see the bluetooth icon at the top right showing it's lit up, still connected

then you load dashcommand, try to connect

bluetooth icon now gone since connection to pair'd device died  
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:35 pm »

Just a thought. Have you tried setting the OBD-II dataport for this?
Lukas

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 08:55:15 pm »

Just a thought. Have you tried setting the OBD-II dataport for this?
yes, i've tried auto, and i've tried setting dashcommand to:
ELM
tcp://127.0.0.1
port 35000
aux none

i have tried every combination of settings with roqy, as well as reinstalling a bunch of times.
roqy works fine, it connects fine to the device and stays connected.
it's when dashcommand is run and tries to connect that the pairing is killed

this worked fine last may, so perhaps more recent dashcommand updates since last may did something ... ?
Lukas

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 10:57:08 pm »

any other possible ideas? i've really tried all settings, options, etc that i could think of.
as i mentioned, this worked last year in may until i updated dashcommand over the months and tried to use it again last week.
nothing else had changed on my phone other than updating dashcommand
azz00

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 11:29:48 am »

Hi everyone,

Was there ever a solution for this? I have exactly the same issues as mentioned in the first post? Cheers
Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 12:31:17 pm »

We haven't really changed the way DashCommand communicates with OBD-II devices during this time period. The latest version should be identical to the version from last May, as far as OBD-II communication goes. DashCommand does not do anything special to support roqyBT, we treat it just like any other WiFi interface. Have you tried restarting your phone? I've seen several issues get fixed after a full reboot.

There isn't a whole lot we can do about this. If you're still having issues you should probably check with roqy to see if they have any advice.
azz00

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »

Yeah that's fair enough. I ill try a restart later and if that doesn't work get onto Roqy. Cheers for the quick reply.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: