Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
January 16, 2018, 11:58:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Wifi OBD-II hardware interface for Dashcommand cause problems for AppRadio?  (Read 9274 times)
bschoi

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2012, 02:10:09 am »

I'm a noob here and haven't seen this covered.  I just got a Pioneer AppRadio deck for my iPhone 4S and Dashcommand is a very appealing app to me.  I want to get a WiFi enabled OBD-II hardware interface (as the goPoint BT1 support was only recently added).  But before i shell out $50 for Dashcommand, i'm curious if anyone else who has this configuration has problems running AppRadio along with a WiFi enabled OBD-II hardware...

The AppRadio apps use the iPhone's 3G connection for the internet, but if WiFi is enabled on the iPhone, it will try to use WiFi before 3G.  Since the WiFi enabled for the OBD-II hardware interface is not a real WiFI connection (local connection only), all the AppRadio apps that rely on a real internet connection (e.g. Pandora, Maps, ....) will essentially stop working until i disconnect the WiFI.   

Has anyone seen this issue at all with the use of WiFi OBD-II hardware and AppRadio apps?

I'm a little afraid of going with the Bluetooth/IOS solution as the support has only been recently added and i heard there were issues with Honda's using goPoint BT1 with Dashcommand.

Thanks,
Ben
natey.j80

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:23:06 am »

hi ben

yes im using a WiFi OBD-II dongle and same Pioneer stereo. In order for it to work with my iPhone I first have to put the iPhone to Airplane mode then switch Wi-Fi back on then make a static IP connection to the OBD-II dongle. This is a pain in the backside as you cannot then use the 3G data options in the phone to stream data through the iPhone onto your Pioneer App radio. This seems more a restriction of the WiFi dongle.

The alternative option which is something im currently investigating is in order to use a bluetooth OBD-II dongle with Apple products is that this will not work as Apple has restrictions over what bluetooth devices can connect to your iPhone/iPad. The solution ive read is to jailbreak your iPhone/iPad and then install some bluetooth software to get the bluetooth connector to be recognised by the iPhone. Not the ideal solution though  Cry
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:06:54 pm »

GoPoint sells a bluetooth unit that works on Apple. It is the only one that we work with as far as I know. The GoPoint BT1.
Hell520

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:51:02 am »

Im looking at buying this also for my appradio, I'm looking at buying the Plex kiwi wifi and I'm pretty sure 3G will work  aswell because it is a static ip but I'm not sure.
recruz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:51:33 pm »

GoPoint sells a bluetooth unit that works on Apple. It is the only one that we work with as far as I know. The GoPoint BT1.

Will I still be able to use the AppRadio bluetooth phone capability if my iPhone is also using the GoPoint BT1 bluetooth for the OBD-II connection?
Malkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:21:32 am »

Since the appradio itself has a Bluetooth Connection, wouldnt it be able to connect directly to the OBD-II Bluetooth adaptor and all problems are solved...

If not, I would request this functionality to be added if possible...

//Malkus
Sorin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 10:29:26 am »

You are exactly right. I am using an ELM OBDII wifi, iPhone 5 and Pioneer AppRadio3. I am using Waze for navigation, Pandora, etc. Here are the issues:

- when you connect to the wifi network broadcasted by the ELM, you will lose the internet connection over 3G/4G. Essentially the iPhone is set to prefer a wifi connection if it exists so it sends all the traffic meant for the internet to your OBD device. IN practical terms, that  means you do not have internet access at all i.e. no Pandora, no traffic updates, no accident or police reports, etc. I have this exact setup and I can tell you this is a real issue.

- when  you are connected via bluetooth, I assume your bluetooth streaming (i.e. phone calls, directions from  your navigation software, etc) will be screwed up. I do not have this setup, so this is just an assumption.

If anybody knows how to set up the iPhone to still access the internet while connected to the local wifi from the OBD scanner, I would love to hear about it.
infidel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:25:43 am »

You do not loose internet connection (3g) while connected to a wifi elm dongle. Apple is pretty smart about that, if you do not set the wifi elm as gateway, iphone will route data through 3g. I have an iphone 4 and an ipad 2 GSM and never had a problem using the wifi elm. just make sure to manually enter the ip address and subnet on the iphone's settings for the elm wifi access point and nothing else.
Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 12:16:50 pm »

Since the appradio itself has a Bluetooth Connection, wouldnt it be able to connect directly to the OBD-II Bluetooth adaptor and all problems are solved...

If not, I would request this functionality to be added if possible...

The AppRadio is not doing any of the OBD-II work. DashCommand on your iPhone is whats processing all of the OBD-II data, and drawing the gauges. The AppRadio simple acts like a screen or a monitor for us.

I have used an AppRadio over Bluetooth, and a Bluetooth OBD-II interface at the same time with no issues. Bluetooth is designed to handle multiple connections and will still work just fine when using a Bluetooth interface.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: