Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 11, 2017, 10:05:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil temp - yep, that old chestnut  (Read 90157 times)
nzer

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:36:10 am »

I see some threads on oil temp and issues people have had but there does not seem to be any conclusive answers given.

I have a Toyota 86 (same as Scion FR-S in USA) and have the kiwi2 plx wifi connector for iPhone.

Oil temp gauge in real time is what I am after and before I shell out the $64.99 for DashCommand I need to know that it is going to be able to display it.

I do have a Bluetooth connector with android app that does display oil temp so know it is a standard OBD2 transmitted piece of data and the car has the required sensor.

Will DashCommand display the oil temp in real time for the Toyota 86 (Scion FRS86)?

Appreciate the advice one way or the other.

Remember that the Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S are basically the same car so a lot of owners want this across the three platforms!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:56:14 pm by nzer » Logged
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 01:50:40 pm »

It sounds like you have an iPhone and Android? We will show it if it comes over the generic OBD-II, but not everything that comes over OBD-II is generic.

I would recommend that you download our Android DashCommand app which is a free download in evaluation mode. You can use that to test whether you can get oil temp. Our Android and iPhone versions both get the same PID version.
nzer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 02:35:44 pm »

Unfortunately I do have both iPhone and android but the plx I have is the kiwi 2 for iPhone/iPad.

The android connector I have is the HKS one so running the DashCommand android free version won't work.

I really need to test on the iPhone.  Any ideas?

I'm happy to shell out the cash for the iPhone app but only if I can get oil temp.
nzer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 02:48:56 pm »

One more bit of info that might narrow diwn the issue. If I connect the PLX to Obie on iphone then it says oil temp sensor is not active.

Does that mean it won't be active for DashCommand either?

Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:19:58 pm »

There is an oil temp PID in the OBD-II standard, however I have never heard of a vehicle that supports it. Its possible that it could be supported, I have not tested on that specific vehicle, but its also possible that the other app you are using is trying to calculate oil temp, and isn't giving you a real reading.

We really can't confirm whether or not your car will support any specific PID, unless we find one to test on we just can't know for sure.

If you want to know for sure without spending a whole bunch of money, I'd suggest getting a cheap bluetooth ELM interface from eBay, and hook it up to the evaluation version of DashCommand for Android. I believe I've seen some of those interfaces in the $5-$10 range before.
nzer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 06:45:32 pm »

Thanks. I have an ELM327 Bluetooth connector and have got it working with android on some apps although could not get it to pair with DashCommand. I have tried it with a couple of apps and all have oil temp as inactive so I assume that means DashCommand will be the same.

I'll keep trying to get it to pair with DashCommand to be certain but must be doing something wrong and can't see what it is. I have selected ELM and the ELM is paired to my tablet but when I click connection it says there is an error. Pairs with other apps though.

Strange that the HKS OB-Link with carscope does give real time oil temp as it connects to the OBD2 just the same and is Bluetooth android as well.

Bugger I can't get anything to work then with iPhone easily unless you have any ideas that may work with the kiwi2 plx connector.
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 12:20:22 pm »

I am not familiar with HKS OB-Link.

It is possible to get non-generic data through the OBD-II port. However DashCommand and most OBD-II apps do not support it.

We are planning to add some non-generic data soon, but as it is not generic, it must be added on a per PID basis. There are various complications to adding non-generic data, and not all vehicles would be supported with this feature.
nzer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 02:01:31 pm »

Thank you for the replies.  Yep, it does seem that as the OB-Link asks you to select a vehicle make it then reads some non standard stuff but it is very expensive at about US$300 compared with US$10 for the ELM327.

I will keep trying to find out the PID but it seems the non-standard ones are pretty closely guarded secrets.

nzer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 05:09:20 pm »

John, just had another idea.

If I do a full PID scan with the car not started (to avoid readings for things that are "fluid") then drive the car for a bit and run another scan with the car off is is likely most of the changed PID readings will be the temperature ones - coolant, oil etc.

If I then emailed them through to you do you reckon you could determine the PID for oil temp that Toyota is using on this car.

Only issue is that torque scan seems to have the most steady connection although the damn car switches itself off after a period with no activity!

Would this be possible or is it not possible or not something you can help with?

A lot of the Toyota 86 community worldwide is trying to get this PID and if I make it known on forum postings that it was DashCommand that achieved it and with instructions on how to get a gauge working with it then I think you'll get any, many new users and downloads.
nzer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:55:44 pm »

I could always use your scan addin but can't get a stable ELM327 connection.

I have emailed the tach log to see if you can see why.

Cheers
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 06:55:53 pm »

I don't think it would do us any good to see a tech log of your changed PIDs. As I understand, the only way for us to get this data is to pay a lot of money to car manufacturers. We've already paid quite a bit, but whether we have the Toyota 86 one I have no idea.

Anyways I'd love to get it in for you but I can't make any promises. First we have to get DashCommand to accept manufacturer-specific data of any kind.

As far as the tech log, our support should be responding to your email within 24 hours.

Thanks.
nzer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 07:34:41 pm »

Thanks John.

I'll try approaching Toyota direct and see if they might share this one PID with me given it is nothing special although if they are in the habit of selling them...

Guess that's why the HKS OB-Link is so expensive as they have to cover the cost spent with each manufacturer.
nzer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 06:37:26 pm »

John, I now know the oil temp PID for the Toyota 86. Is there anyway I can add it to DashCommand.

It is:

PID 2101
Min -40
Max 215
Scale x1
Unit Type C
Equation AC-40
OBD Header 7E0

Cheers
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 12:38:04 pm »

I think the only information missing from this is the mode. Probably mode $22.

There is no way to add custom parameters to DashCommand at this moment. So you cannot get it as DashCommand currently is.

However we will be adding packages of non-generic parameters for certain vehicles soon. These parameters will need to be added on a model per model basis, so we won't be adding all at once. I don't know how we will prioritize which we add, but perceived demand will certainly drive our decision. Posts like yours in the forum probably help to shape our decisions.

Keep an eye on DashCommand and when you see non-generic parameters coming out, ask us about this then. We will probably be in a better position to say what we will be adding then.

As far as timetable, I am unsure. I was hoping the non-generics would be out last month, but we are a bit behind.
xjohnx

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 12:33:42 pm »

count me in as one more who would love this functionality/pid added for for my Subaru BRZ (same car as the Toyota GT86/Scion FR-S). There are a TON of people on ft86club clamoring for this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12  All
  Print  

Jump to: