Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 15, 2017, 01:11:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Error Detecting OBD-II Protocol' & Dash Command is Crashing on Iphone 5  (Read 49010 times)
JohnH79

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2013, 07:31:04 am »

Hi everyone. I'm getting really frustrated now. Hope someone can help with this.

I purchased Dash Command a Week ago from the Apple App store for 34.99 so it is the up to date version. I have an Iphone 5 running OS 6.0.2, so that is up to date too. I'm using the ELM327 Wi-fi OBDII reader which my phone is connected to. My car is a 2001 BMW M3 Coupe which is OBDII.

I've set up everything as per the online manual:

Although it shows it is connected, I don't get the Wifi signal strength symbol at the top of the Iphone. I dont know if this is normal. Maybe it is becauase I am still using 3G for my phone, it keeps the 3G symbol up:

Dash command appears to be talking with the ELM as it lights up like a Christmas tree with all the lights flashing on it when I try and connect! However, I generally get the following error message when trying to connect:

If I try and change the photo of my car in Vehicle Manager, the app always crashes/shuts down before I can upload a picture. Also, if I try to email Technical Support through Console, most of the time it also Crashes/Shuts down. However, once I was really quick and managed to email the file over before it crashed. Hopefully it actually sent. My email address it was sent from was: JohnHolland_1@hotmail.com

I have been through trouble shooting and I'm really pulling my hair out now. Can anybody help??? Please!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:38:01 am by JohnH79 » Logged
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:33:39 am »

Hi. We did receive your tech log. We will respond to it through email.
JohnH79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:40:42 pm »

Hi. We did receive your tech log. We will respond to it through email.

Hi John.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you actually got the tech log I managed to send before it crashed. I got an email reply from Cody saying 'In the Vehicle Manager, try changing the KWP/ISO Keep Alive to 2000ms and the OBD-II timeout to 600ms and then try to connect again.'

I tried what was suggested above, but it has made absolutely no difference to the problems I am experiencing. It still wont connect and gives me the 'Error detecting OBD-II protocol' message. It also still crashes if I try to add a photo in the Vehicle manager section or try to send a Tech Log and take too long sending it eg try to add any text in to the body of the email. Is this an Iphone 5 / IOS 6 issue?
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 05:10:52 pm »

As far as why the vehicle won't connect, Cody is better at those issues than I am. Go ahead and reply to that email as he is more likely to respond to email than to forum posts.

As far as the crashing, we are investigating. I can confirm that we have seen the crash ourselves, so it is likely we will be able to fix it and put it into an upcoming release. At the moment I think it is only on iOS 6, but I am not certain.
JohnH79

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 06:31:27 am »

As far as why the vehicle won't connect, Cody is better at those issues than I am. Go ahead and reply to that email as he is more likely to respond to email than to forum posts.

As far as the crashing, we are investigating. I can confirm that we have seen the crash ourselves, so it is likely we will be able to fix it and put it into an upcoming release. At the moment I think it is only on iOS 6, but I am not certain.

Thanks John.  I wondered whether the Error with connection I was getting could be software related and linked to the crashing issue.

I emailed Cody back last night and am waiting for a reply.
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:38:18 pm »

The crashing actually is not related to iOS 6. It happens when DashCommand shows the message "Opening OBD-II connection..."

This message is shown every time we try to connect. By default we try to connect every 30 seconds. You can change this in the DashCommand settings. Set Auto reconnect to "Never" and you will eliminate the crash.

Next release we will put out a fix for this crashing.
JohnH79

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 04:47:38 am »

The crashing actually is not related to iOS 6. It happens when DashCommand shows the message "Opening OBD-II connection..."

This message is shown every time we try to connect. By default we try to connect every 30 seconds. You can change this in the DashCommand settings. Set Auto reconnect to "Never" and you will eliminate the crash.

Next release we will put out a fix for this crashing.

Hi John. Thanks for this. I did as you mentioned above and uploaded a photo with no problems. I haven't tried sending another Error Log by email as there is no need, but I'm sure that works fine too.

However, still cant actually connect which is much more important. Waiting for another email from Cody
JohnH79

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 03:43:35 am »

I've still not got this working and have not heard anything from Cody since Monday. Any news?
JohnH79

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 03:08:48 am »

I have now been told that it wont work with my ELM Wireless and I need to buy a KIWI wireless. Unfortunately they are crazy expensive. Really disappointed.......
Cody@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 11:43:18 am »

We send an OBD-II request in every protocol, your hardware says that your vehicle doesn't respond. (ELM hardware acts like a mediator between us and the vehicle) That doesn't mean you need a Kiwi, it is possible an exchange of your exact hardware could fix it.  The problem with the Chinese hardware, if you go to Amazon, you will see about 4 or 5 visually different hardware, but 15 different names on those hardware.  So are they all the same or do they all just use the same enclosure and put a different sticker on them?  How many have designed their own board for that enclosure?  We have bought one of every enclosure type and tried them, they all worked but one which is just dead out of the box.  It is possible if you order a different one on Amazon it may work?  We know what a Kiwi is, we know what a OBDLink is, we know what a GoPoint is, but we have no way of knowing what you are going to get when you get one on Amazon.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:46:54 am by Cody@PPE » Logged
JohnH79

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 09:02:38 am »

We send an OBD-II request in every protocol, your hardware says that your vehicle doesn't respond. (ELM hardware acts like a mediator between us and the vehicle) That doesn't mean you need a Kiwi, it is possible an exchange of your exact hardware could fix it.  The problem with the Chinese hardware, if you go to Amazon, you will see about 4 or 5 visually different hardware, but 15 different names on those hardware.  So are they all the same or do they all just use the same enclosure and put a different sticker on them?  How many have designed their own board for that enclosure?  We have bought one of every enclosure type and tried them, they all worked but one which is just dead out of the box.  It is possible if you order a different one on Amazon it may work?  We know what a Kiwi is, we know what a OBDLink is, we know what a GoPoint is, but we have no way of knowing what you are going to get when you get one on Amazon.

Strange. The comment above is completely different to the one I had an email notification of. That said:

It could be that your ELM device is bad, but it really just appears that the car is not OBD-II.

I would recommend taking it to a nearby auto shop and asking them if it is OBD-II.

If it really is OBD-II then your ELM could be faulty, which you could check by trying it in another car. Also, it is possible that the specific ELM you have just has trouble with your specific car. Some ELMs are better than others.

But from the tech log it just appears the car is not OBD-II.

Just to confirm: My car is a 2001 BMW (E46) M3. I can 100% Guarantee you that it is OBDII Compliant. I plugged in my OBDII 'Generic' code reader yesterday and it gave me live data for everything apart from CAT and O2S info. I believe these were disabled when the car was re-mapped due to me having 100 Cell Race Cats and to stop the Cat warning light coming on the dash.

Regarding the ELM being potentially faulty. It links with my phone fine and you can see the lights flashing while the Dashcommand software is trying to communicate with it.  I cant send the ELM back as it was a gift. I would buy another (they are quite cheap) if you say it will work with it and my car. Is there a source you recommend buying one from where you know they work successfully?

Regards

John

John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:17 am »

Just to clarify, your email notification was a post I had made myself. Apparently I didn't quite understand the situation, so I deleted my post and Cody posted instead.

As far as any further advice I will leave that up to Cody.
Epic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 08:18:38 pm »

i am in the same situation.  The CLK Devices unit seems to be popular, but sounds like many can't make it work.
JohnH79

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 05:15:44 am »

i am in the same situation.  The CLK Devices unit seems to be popular, but sounds like many can't make it work.

It's popular because it is so cheap. It's unfortunate that it doesn't work. I still haven't got my software to work as the only option I have been told that is guaranteed to work is the Kiwi Wifi module and these are really expensive to buy.
Cody@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 10:31:58 am »

"CLK Devices" is the name that every cheap hardware calls itself.  CLK was a stolen chinese clone of PLX and looks like PLX Kiwi to sell for cheaper than the PLX.  All of the other WIFI ELM hardware that don't look like the Kiwi took the CLK chip and puts it in their hardware with different tweeks and sell it cheaper than CLK, but all seem to have kept the SSID of "CLK Devices".  So when you are using a "CLK Devices" you have a clone of a clone, you can see how quality is working its way downward.  When I see a techlog that says "CLK Devices" I have no idea what hardware that is.  We can connect with "CLK Devices" but there are some that are just bad out of the box.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: