Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 13, 2017, 01:11:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sample rate of Scan XL Pro with Palmer OBDLink USB  (Read 4042 times)
cwilli01

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:48:25 am »

Hi folks,

I'm pulling data through ScanXL Pro / OBDLink USB with a powerful PC on my brand new Audi S5. Logging all available PIDs (around 400 I think) I am logging a little less than once per second. I want better granularity, of course.

The question I have is, does this performance sound about right, or do I have a settings problem that is impacting throughput??

Thanks,

Chuck
GaryDoug

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:08:07 am »

400 PID's per second sound pretty good to me. I guess you have the CAN bus and that would be about right. My older VPW protocol 98 car only does about 30 per second. If you want even faster, you could try reducing the Response Time in the OBDII settings window. To get much faster times, just select the PID's of interest. The total scan time should be a multiple of the single PID time multiplied by the total number.
Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:26:59 am »

The best way to get faster logging, is to select less PIDs to monitor. CALC.XXX PIDs are calculated, and don't slow it down much, but SAE.XXX (and CALC PIDs that use them) are pulled directly from the vehicle. Its possible for a CALC PID to require an SAE PID, in which case selecting that CALC PID will automatically select the corresponding SAE PIDs.

Reducing the OBD-II Timeout will likely not help. The OBD-II Timeout comes into play when the vehicle doesn't respond. Where your vehicle is responding very quickly (400/sec is fast), it should not be delayed at all because of the timeout.
GaryDoug

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:37:17 am »

Weston is absolutely correct. Changing the Timeout will not do anything here. What was I thinking?
cwilli01

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:37:56 am »

Awesome guys. Thanks for the quick feedback. Less PIDs it is!
cwilli01

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 09:45:08 pm »

Just FYI, I rolled it down to 100 PIDs without much difference. Dropped it again to 10 and then the data was flowing much faster.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: