Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 13, 2017, 08:45:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Some questions from a new EU user  (Read 55656 times)
MoldCAD

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2013, 07:36:27 am »

Hi,

In the Android version, the newest changes to the menu system, editable Gauges page addition etc. are cool - but when measuring acceleration in the Performance screen I'd like to have the option to change mph to kmh, and make the 0-100kmh my default. Will it be possible?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:56:04 am by MoldCAD » Logged
MoldCAD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:23:54 am »

Also, another basic question: where are the log files stored on an Android device?

I hope for an answer this time Smiley

Best Regards.
MoldCAD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 01:50:17 am »

OK, here comes my 3rd question (still waiting for answers to the previous 2 Sad).

How much, and in which specific way(s), does Dashcommand (Android) depend on the BT receiver frequency? I have the Dual XGPS160 that runs at 10 Hz (the internal BT in most phones is just 1Hz). Which readings will benefit (become more reliable/precise etc.)?

Thanks in advance for ALL 3 answers Smiley
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:48:43 am »

Hi MoldCAD, I am not sure of the answer to your first question. I will get back to you on that one.

The log files are stored inside the VDB file, which is the vehicle database. The only way to get an individual logfile is to email to yourself, which can be done from the manage logfiles screen. This screen can be reached from the context menu in DashCommand which you bring up by touching the screen for 2 seconds in the dashboards screen.

As for your question about the BT receiver frequency, I am not sure. I don't think this matters, but I have never considered it. I suspect that the bottleneck would be the OBD-II device itself. If anything were to be affected then we would see more PIDs per second which would result in faster gauges for most every PID. But again I would need to test that and I never have.
MoldCAD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 09:12:06 am »

Thanks John; I'm waiting patiently for the promised answer No. 1 Smiley

As to my question No. 3, I *think* acceleration strongly depends on GPS data and as such, should be reported more reliably when the GPS is more precise. This is how the maker of V-box explains why it will always be more accurate in measuring 0-60 times than any smartphone application - simply because the V-box has as much as 20 Hz "refresh frequency" while smartphones usually have just 1 Hz (my XGPS is 10 Hz).

Do you agree with the above, or does DashCommand measure acceleration in completely different way (like using the smartphone's accelerometers)?

Best,

Piotr
MoldCAD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 09:38:05 am »

John,

Just emailed myself one of my log files - it has the .lgf extension - how do I open it?
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 11:11:10 am »

The best way is to use ScanXL, which can be downloaded for free from our website here: http://www.palmerperformance.com/downloads.php

In the ScanXL "tools" menu there is a log file manager, where you can import log files and see the data.
MoldCAD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 11:47:08 am »

Yep - the ScanXL works with the log files, thanks. But how about my previous question:

As to my question No. 3, I *think* acceleration strongly depends on GPS data and as such, should be reported more reliably when the GPS is more precise. This is how the maker of V-box explains why it will always be more accurate in measuring 0-60 times than any smartphone application - simply because the V-box has as much as 20 Hz "refresh frequency" while smartphones usually have just 1 Hz (my XGPS is 10 Hz).

Do you agree with the above, or does DashCommand measure acceleration in completely different way (like using the smartphone's accelerometers)?
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 12:11:07 pm »

Ah. I missed that one.

The acceleration in the Tuxedo dashboard works only on your speed input. So a more precise GPS would not help that. Your speed is reported by the car's ECU.

With a more precise GPS, the racetrack function would be more precise.
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 03:18:22 pm »

So for #1, this is a two step process.

First, in the settings, change the unit settings from mph to kmh.

Then, back in the performance screen, change to 0-60. Then press the edit button. You can change from 0-60, to 0-100 in edit mode.
MoldCAD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 01:19:26 am »

Thanks, John!

Piotr
MoldCAD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 07:38:30 am »

I have learnt the basics of composing my own gauges - cool stuff Smiley What I'd like to achieve is sort of a 'dyno' curve display of Power and Torque, on the same gauge. When choosing a PID for the new gauge, there are more than 1 available but when I set the first to Calculated Engine Torque and the second to Calculated Engine Power, only the latter is displayed (a single curve is drawn rather than two)

Questions:

- what are the remaining PIDs for (when inspecting some existing gauges I notice some of them only use one PID, while others use all and they're ALL the same sensors!)
- is it possible to get 2 independent graphs in a single gauge (preferably with different colors)?

TIA,

Piotr
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 09:25:37 am »

The gauges have multiple readouts. For example the circular needle gauges also have a digital readout and a marker. So you can for example show current RPM in the needle, and the marker could show maximum RPM, while the digital readout might show MPH.

If you want a graph, change the type of the gauge. There are a few graph types. Most or all of these accept up to 4 PIDs. You can set one to power and one to torque. You can change the color of each PID in the graph.
MoldCAD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 09:39:11 am »

If you want a graph, change the type of the gauge. There are a few graph types. Most or all of these accept up to 4 PIDs. You can set one to power and one to torque. You can change the color of each PID in the graph.

John, this is exactly how I was trying to do it; after I assigned the first PID to torque I connected to my car's OBD-II and it worked like a charm. However, after I added the second PID in the same gauge (assigning Power to it) - upon return to the gauge screen I only could see one curve, which - judging by the values - was Power, not Torque. So rather than add another graph, the second PID replaced the first one... I'll try again, this time re-connecting after the gauge modification.

I also have 2 more questions:

- the logs I produced today have wrong date / time in their names, like 'Data Log Oct 12 2013 07_45 PM.lgf'. It must be a bug? The time/date of my car and my phone are synchronized and correct!

- when playing back any chosen log file, all my gauges show a constant value which is the maximum defined for them. Am I missing something, or is it another bug? I remember how my Torque gauge's values changed at recording time, so why are they constant at playback (and at the maximum, too)?

TIA,

Piotr

EDIT: OK - I do have both Torque and Power in a single graph gauge, as a red and green lines. But the last 2 questions still remain...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:48:23 am by MoldCAD » Logged
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 10:55:02 am »

I am not sure about these 2. On the Xoom I am using, the data logs have the correct date and time. How far off is your date? Is it 3 days?

Also I don't see the maximum value problem you are seeing either. Do you only have a single page you are recording? One thing that may not be apparent is that if a gauge is on a separate page, then we won't request the data for that gauges PIDs. So for example if you have two pages, one has torque and one has power, then if you look at the power page, we won't record your torque at that time.

Another possible thing to check is your gauge limit. Although these are not used for graphs, so unless it is a non-graph gauge this won't matter.

If you cannot get the playback figured out, you might try opening the log file with ScanXL to see what values are recorded.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All
  Print  

Jump to: