Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
January 16, 2018, 08:07:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Speedometer fluctuating wildly (iPad, BT1A & Ram 3500 w/Cummins)  (Read 10347 times)
mcinfl

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:15:49 am »

I just installed a GoPoint BT1A Bluetooth reader on my 2014 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7L pickup, and am using it with DashCommand on my iPad.  I had absolutely no trouble pairing or getting the connection working, but the speedometer fluctuates wildly.  It's spot on about 25% of the time, and the rest of the time is fluctuating wildly between the right value and values 2 to 3 times the correct one.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:05:47 am by John@PPE » Logged
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:23:53 am »

I don't have any idea.

Send a .lgf file to support@palmerperformance.com. Our support team should be able to get a good idea from that data.

In case you don't know, the .lgf file is a data log file. Record the weird speedometer reading and go to the manage log files screen. You can email the log file from there.
mcinfl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 10:52:58 am »

We're on the same track.  I created a log file on my way to work, just to see what I could find out.  While looking at the logging screen, the numbers didn't jump around at all, so I think the issue must be with the Tuxedo Landscape skin, though I did also try the Tuxedo Landscape for Cummins Common Rail Diesel skin, with the same results.

Is there a way I can read the log file?  Excel doesn't like it...
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 12:32:52 pm »

Yes. If you have a Windows machine.

ScanXL is available from our downloads page. You can download that for free.

Run it and look for the tools menu. That has a log file manager where you can load the lgf. Then look at it in the data view.
mcinfl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 03:25:48 pm »

Thanks - I downloaded it and opened the log.  I e-mailed you the log as well.

At frame 717, the speed jumps from 35 mph to 101, stays there until frame 722, after which it drops back to 35.  At frame 740 it jumps from 35 to 103.  At 854, it jumps from 39 to 110, etc.

So the log does show the speed sensor anomaly, I just didn't notice it in the log display.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:33:22 pm by mcinfl » Logged
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 05:35:05 pm »

Is that SAE.VSS? That comes directly from your ECU over OBD-II, so it sounds like there is a problem with the vehicle itself. Do you have any engine codes?

If not the vehicle, it is possible that your BT1A is having issues.

Do you see the same problem in a different vehicle?
mcinfl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 05:41:03 pm »

Yes, it's SAE.VSS.  I haven't tried the BT1A in another vehicle, but I have tried other ODB tools in the same vehicle without any issues, so it is possible that the BT1A is faulty.  I guess I'll contact GoPoint...

Edit:  No engine codes, either...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:50:47 pm by mcinfl » Logged
mcinfl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 03:33:57 pm »

Go Point is reporting that:

"The issue is as I suspected, the engine controller is reporting one speed and the transmission controller is reporting another.

For example, the engine controller is reporting 53 KPH while the transmission controller is reporting 154 KPH. The last reading rec'd is the one that is displayed on the app screen. Thus the crazy reading."

Can DashCommand, or a skin, be modified to use just the engine controller?  Or am I just out of luck, since the other bluetooth OBD unit I have (bluedriver) doesn't work with DashCommand?

Thanks for your help...
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 06:27:18 pm »

That sounds like a problem I have heard before. Let me get back to you on this.
mcinfl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 10:03:21 pm »

Thanks!!!!
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 12:30:47 pm »

Could you please send a techlog to our tech support?

Instructions are here: http://www.palmerperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=4665.0

This is different than the datalog you sent earlier.

In the email you send, please reference this thread so our support team has some context.

Thanks.
mcinfl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 01:58:46 pm »

Certainly - it may be tomorrow before I get a chance, but no later than tomorrow.

Thanks again!  (FWIW, the GoPoint folks said that for them to fix it, it would require a change to their app, not the Bluetooth OBD interface unit, so I guess you're on the same track...)
mcinfl

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 03:54:24 pm »

I just e-mailed you the tech log - I was able to get to it sooner than I thought...  Thanks again...
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 04:09:07 pm »

Sounds good. Our company is off to the SEMA show this next week. So a response could take longer than usual. But we will get to it.

Thanks.
smchamp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 01:20:14 pm »

I have the exact same issue with a 2006 Ford 6.0L Superduty and I got the exact same response from GoPoint. GoPoint basically told me I was S.O.L. when I pressed them on the issue - any chance Palmer has a work around now?
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: