Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 12, 2017, 10:50:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PCMSCAN vs Scan XL  (Read 14647 times)
97cherokee

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2008, 09:38:37 pm »

Wondering what the differences between PCMSCAN and Scan XL would be for at 97 Jeep Cherokee - are there extended parameters for this vehicle?   If so will Scan XL support them in the near future?  Does ELMScan work with this vehicle?
BrianP
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 12:59:03 pm »

Please see this post for the differences: http://www.palmerperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=840.msg3274#msg3274

We currently don't support any enhanced diagnostics for your vehicle at this time. We hope to offer it in the future. But the ELM does work with your vehicle.
97cherokee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 02:36:27 pm »

So if I get ScanXL now, would it work the same as PCMSCAN (for now)?  Then if you came out with enhanced diagnostics for the Jeep, I would be able to upgrade for a nominal fee?  What would the fee be (approx)?

Also (for now) would ScanXL work on other vehicles as well (2000 Explorer and 2006 Sienna) the same as PCMSCAN?

I like the features of PCMSCAN (generic OBDII diagnostics) and that it works on multiple vehicles.  I would only need enhanced diagnostics (if/when available) for the Jeep.  Would ScanXL work this way?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:38:53 pm by 97cherokee » Logged
BrianP
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 03:01:18 pm »

So if I get ScanXL now, would it work the same as PCMSCAN (for now)?  Then if you came out with enhanced diagnostics for the Jeep, I would be able to upgrade for a nominal fee?  What would the fee be (approx)?

Yes, exactly. We have no idea what the fee would be when we offer enhanced diagnostics for Jeep.

Also (for now) would ScanXL work on other vehicles as well (2000 Explorer and 2006 Sienna) the same as PCMSCAN?

Yes, it would work just as well. However, we do already offer enhanced diagnostic support for your Ford Explorer. So you can already use that.

I like the features of PCMSCAN (generic OBDII diagnostics) and that it works on multiple vehicles.  I would only need enhanced diagnostics (if/when available) for the Jeep.  Would ScanXL work this way?

You got it!
jdtrites

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 05:31:33 pm »

Brian,

If I bought ScanXL J2534 and a Mongoose interface, is it substantially faster than PCMScan or are there any advantages to upgrading to it now, or wait until the enhanced parameters are supported for my car?

I am thinking of upgrading the interface anyway, but I already have PCMScan and I like it a lot.  However, is ScanXL is faster and with the same set of features, I'd definitely consider it.
BrianP
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 07:05:34 pm »

Honestly, I would wait until the enhanced parameters are supported. ScanXL (the software) is not any faster than PCMSCAN for generic diagnostics, using the same OBD-II hardware interface.
Bullitt54

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 02:14:35 pm »

Brian,

I have just purchased the enhanced diagnostic package today. Grin While I am waiting for my activation email, could you explain what will be the procedure for updating my PCMscan to ScanXL and adding the enhanced package? Huh

Note: I am currently using PCMScan 2.4.2 with Drewtech Mongoose/FEPs cable.
Bullitt54

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:31:37 am »

Brian,

I guess I goofed on ordering the Enhanced/upgrade. I didn't specify that I wanted the J2534. I received the registration email and it had an activation key for Elm. Not a big problem, after considering my options, I ordered an Elm interface too.

I got to thinking about it and decided I was better off with the Elm instead of Mongoose since it only works on Ford vehicles anyway. I will just use my Mongoose for Ford reflashes, and the Elm for everything else......
BrianP
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 12:28:26 am »

Hi Greg,

We have upgraded you from PCMSCAN now. So you should be all taken care of. Let me know if you have any problems.

-Brian
epilipanko

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 09:52:51 am »

I am thinking of purchasing Scan XL in the future. I would like your recommendation if I should purchase
PMSCAN now & update to Scan XL later or purchase Scan XL now & update it later.
abcman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 03:07:38 am »

@epilipanko

Hi - I'm still waiting to hear a reply to my issue with scanXl in separate forum thread raised this week, but I'd raise this warning in case if you're considering which to buy, as I was. I saw this on the forum:

(reply from brian p, the author)
Yes, exactly.

As a consequence of that, I went for ScanXL believing it would work the same, but it seems that it foes not quite offer the same functionality in that pcmscan has wider device support, with scanXL (the successor) having less; not just that there are two versions of scanXL which support different interface types, but that there are some interfaces that pcmscan supports but _neither_ version of scanXL seems to support. I may be wrong on this, but since this seems to be the case and I havent yet had response to the query raised, thought I'd warn you to check interface type thoroughly, as at the moment it looks like I wasnt careful enough and may have wasted money.

P.
BrianP
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 06:56:42 pm »

You can purchase PCMSCAN now, and upgrade to ScanXL later. That is an upgrade option we are currently providing to our PCMSCAN customers.

But you have not wasted your money getting ScanXL either. ScanXL provides many enhancements over PCMSCAN such as the Vehicle Manager and enhanced diagnostics support. But in order to support enhanced diagnostics, we had to limit the number of OBD-II interfaces we supported, since not all of the OBD-II interfaces that PCMSCAN supports are capable of doing the enhanced diagnostics. That is why we only support the ELM327 and J2534 for enhanced diagnostics.
wobbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 07:17:51 am »

I was looking at your feature comparison sheet http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/feature_comparison.php

and I think I am slowly catching on. The sheet says that ScanXL ELM supports Ford powertrain, airbag and ABS - but I think there should be a note to mention that these are optional components of ScanXL. I would be an unhappy customer if I had bought your product thinking I was getting this support and found I had to pay again to get what I thought I had already bought. Get it?

Perhaps I can simplify it - I would probably have already bought if I had clear information on feature comparison.

As far as thr Ford enhancements - one of the things I am interested in is the Differential Pressure sensor on the 3.0 EGR system and EGR monitoring in general. Would these items be in the generic or are they only in the enhanced?

Still shopping

Wobbie

BrianP
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 06:47:06 pm »

I'll try to update the feature comparison with your suggestions.

Those parameters would definitely be part of the enhanced diagnostics - they are definitely not generic parameters.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: