Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
September 21, 2017, 02:36:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DragStrip Clarifications  (Read 2328 times)
auto_god

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2014, 06:45:19 am »

Been using ScanXL & Dragstrip for quite some time & am very pleased with the software.  I have 2 questions regarding Dragstrip I'm hoping somebody can answer.

1.  It appears the the ET timer starts as soon as the green light goes on & stops when the 1/4 mile run is complete.  Having said that, my vehicle's 1/4 mile time would really be the ET that the software generates minus the reaction time (I'm assuming that is the time from when the light goes green until the software sees vehicle movement).  When I subtract my reaction from the generated ET, I get very consistent 1/4 mile times that are also consistent with what the various cars I've tested really should run.  So in essence what I'm wanting to confirm is whether the timer starts counting at the green light or with vehicle movement (I'm pretty convinced its with the light).

2.  My second question revolves around what the software uses to calculate the distance the car has traveled in order to determine when the 1/4 mile is complete.  Initially I assumed that the Vehicle Speed Sensor would likely be used for this, however after doing some runs earlier this week, I'm unsure.  One of the passes I made earlier this week, I got on it too hard & spun the tires badly (spinning tires "should" make the software think the vehicle has traveled considerably farther than what it really has & generate an unrealistically quick ET), however the result the software generated was notably slower than what the car would run when not spinning the tires.....a true reflection of what really happened.  That intrigued me & am now wondering if the software may be reading a wheel speed sensor not on the drive wheels to calculate distance traveled.
Andy@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:14:06 am »

To answer your questions.

1. The timer will begin as soon as your vehicle starts moving.

2. We use the vehicle wheel speed sensors to calculate distance traveled.
ckolibab

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:57:55 pm »

Andy - can you please clarify specifically which sensor - I am quite sure not VSS but one of the wheel speed sensors, and which one sir?

My thanks
Weston@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 04:41:54 pm »

DashLogic uses wheel speeds in an attempt to be as accurate as possible and factor out wheel spin. To my knowledge, ScanXL uses VSS in an attempt to support as many vehicles as possible.
brr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 11:21:53 pm »

Here's a post resurrection....
 If the software calculates the 1/4 by wheel speed...
Does it take into consideration different tire sizes and gear ratios?
My speedo is 4% off now since I changed my factor tire sizing...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: