Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
January 16, 2018, 11:58:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MPG Way off - 2002 VW Golf 1.9 Diesel TDi  (Read 8379 times)
mainephotonut

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2014, 07:46:41 am »

*** update....I'm curious if I got chumped by buying what I presume is a cheap Chinese knockoff of an ELM327 Wifi device **** Anyone have a thought on this? See pic below...

New member, and I've searched for answers before posting the question, apologies if it's an old topic.

Received my ELM327 yesterday, downloaded DashCommand for my iPhone, the following data does not seem right....

----MPG is reporting an 'average' of 19mpg, which is clearly wrong since my math has me at a minimum of 43/mpg average. If I coast down an incline in neutral, the mpg shoots up to 70+ mpg, but then severely decreases when I put it back in gear.

----MPH appears to be off by about 4-5mph. Is this due to some configuration I missed? Tire size maybe?

---Also....does the software automatically detect how much fuel is in my tank, or do I have to manually input this? It reads "E" when I just topped it off yesterday.

Thanks for the help in advance!  Grin

* image.jpeg (552.23 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 301 times.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:18:49 am by mainephotonut » Logged
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 11:04:28 am »

The problem is not your OBD-II device. The cheap ELM devices are a lot slower than the expensive ones. And they have a higher rate of failure to connect. But if you are connecting and receiving data then the data is correct.

The MPH would be off if you don't have standard sized tires. There is a setting to enter your tire size, but if you have stock tires you might want to look at the speed correction vehicle setting. This is an optional setting used to correct DashCommand when the speedometer is off.

On the other hand, your vehicle speedometer also might be off. I've noticed DashCommand runs about 2-3 MPH under my speedometer, and when I see the police radar signs they show I am travelling a bit slower than my speedometer shows as well.

The amount of fuel in your tank is detected with the SAE.FLI PID.

As far as MPG, if you haven't travelled far, the average MPG may just need to time to calibrate. Instant will be very high (70-90) if you are not giving it any gas, and when you accelerate your instant MPG will be very low. (under 10)
mainephotonut

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 12:12:13 pm »

Awesome, good info, thank you! I managed to figure out that I had the fuel set to "Gasoline" instead of Diesel. I switched it and low-and-behold the MPG looks much more likely.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: