Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 12, 2017, 10:47:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bluetooth Mobydic and ScanXL Elm connection  (Read 7664 times)
abcman

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2008, 04:12:52 am »

Hi,

I have just bought a Mobydic Bluetooth OBD interface; the vendor selling it listed PCMSCAN as compatible software, and it seemed good but that ScanXL is the latest, so I decided to buy that (ScanXL Elm). So, I'm trying to get things working, and having some initial problem which hopefully someone can answer if they've been through this themselves?

1. Setup is as follows:
Car = Toyota Corolla Compressor
OBD device = Mobydic Bluetooth 3200
PC = Laptop running WinXP with bluetooth (on USB stick)

2. Status:
(a) The Mobydic unit is plugged into the OBD port, and shows correct power/comms indicators.
(b) The laptop has paired via bluetooth with the Mobydic unit, and installed the serial ports (note: originally these autoamtically installed themselves at COM30/31 as I had done a lot of bluetooth testing previously, and it was necessary to remove all the old, non-existant ports from device manager; you have to turn on the setting to show hidden devices to do this).
The Mobydic COM ports show as COM6 and COM7 (one incoming, the other outgoing, can't remember which way round offhand).

i.e. all looks ok to here

3. Problem:
On starting ScanXL (with registration code previously entered successfully), and attempting to connect to the serial port, I get one of the following two errors, either:
"Failed to open OBD-II connection! Error 101: Interface communication failure.", or
"Failed to open OBD-II connection! Error 100: Failed to open data port.", depending which of the two ports (com6/7) I try.

I realise that only one of COM6/7 will be correct, so one of these errors is expected, but I cannot determine what settings/port should be used, or why it is failing. If anyone is able to either advise (as they have done this themselves) or perhaps answer any of the following to help me diagnose and solve the issue, it would be appreciated:

A. Can you confirm that ScanXL Elm will work with the Bluetooth Mobydic 3200 ?
B. Is it viable to to attach a standard terminal to the serial port simply to prove the connection to the PC is correct? i.e. would I expect to be able to see text/other output simply from connecting hyperterminal, or by typing some commands in the same way you can test modem connections by typing AT commands? If so, what baud-rate/settings and commands (if needed) should I try?
C. Can I obtain any further detail on the Error 100/101? (I'm assuming the 100 is from when I try to use the 'wrong' com port, and the 101 is the one of interest)
D. Might adjusting the Keep-Alive, or OBD response timeout parameters help resolve this if it is a bluetooth-only-related issue?

Thanks for any help/clues,

Phil.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:20:19 am by abcman » Logged
abcman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 05:10:04 am »

hmm... just been re-checking, and have a feeling I failed the first test in buying the compatible software Sad  As far as I can tell no version of the ScanXL software explicitly lists Mobydic support, and I'd assumed it would since it is obviously the 'upgrade' over pcmscan for the same price... but it looks to me as though perhaps I should have got pcmscan instead to get the device support? hoping I'm wrong, as I can't see a solution if that's the case..

Phil.
abcman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 07:56:16 am »

bumping for attention.

If my original post was too long to answer, could you please simply reply and let me know whether any version of ScanXL supports the Mobydic (bluetooth 3200) interface pls?

Phil.
BrianP
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 06:50:36 pm »

The problem is definitely the fact that you have purchased ScanXL-ELM instead of PCMSCAN. Since the Mobydic is not an ELM interface, it won't work with ScanXL. You will need a PCMSCAN license. However, I would be more than happy to resolve this for you - just contact sales@palmerperformance.com and we'll make sure you are taken care of.
abcman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 03:50:35 am »

Hi, Thanks for the reply, will contact via email.
Cheers,

Phil.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: