Home News Products Downloads Forum Distributors Store Contact Us
PPE User Forum
December 13, 2017, 01:26:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 PIDs?  (Read 16658 times)
Nak

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2015, 08:03:34 pm »

Hi!

I've been using Torque, But designing a new dashboard for DashCommand with SkinXL.exe. I really like what I can do with DashCommand and SkinXL.exe, but how do I find the PIDs I need? I don't mind buying the extended PIDs, but they only go to 2009? I have a 1992 Blazer that I've swapped in a 2012 L94 6.2L motor and a 6L80 transmission. The PIDs I need are Oil temp and pressure, Transmission Fluid Temp, Current gear, and PDNOM shift lever position. Will the 2009 PIDs work for me? DashCommand warns me it won't load the PIDs if the years don't match?

Thanks!
Andy@PPE
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:21:52 pm »

You can try entering your vehicle as a 2009 GM vehicle with the same engine, connect and validate the PIDs, Dashcommand will tell you if there are any additional PIDs available before you purchase the enhanced.  Shocked
Nak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 08:25:40 pm »

Cool, Thanks! Do you know if guys have been getting the gauges I list above to work? The only one I can't seem to get working in Torque is Transmission Fluid Temperature.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:27:43 pm by Nak » Logged
Nak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 12:03:29 pm »

OK, I added the 2009 PIDs and did some testing. Everything I wanted I found and it runs fine, with one exception. I can't find the PID for the gear lever position? It's not really the gear lever, but the position of the switch inside the transmission. I know it's a PID as HPTuners can monitor this. Is it possible to add this PID? It would be a HUGE benefit for those wanting to replace their main gauge cluster with DashCommand.

On another subject, I have to give a big shout out to you guys and DashCommand. I played with both Torque and DashCommand extensively trying to decide which would be better for my project. DashCommand wins easily because of usability, ease of customization and support.
Nak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 01:27:41 pm »

That switch which shows the selected gear position is the "Internal Mode Switch" (IMS).
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 03:48:55 pm »

Is the 6L80 transmission an automatic? Why would that show the gear lever position?
Nak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 08:27:14 pm »

Yep, the 6L80 is an automatic.

When the gear lever (Shift lever) is moved, the switch inside the transmission is what gets moved. So the PID reflects the position of the shift lever. Later model vehicles display the PRNDL information from serial data, not mechanical switches. The same PID gives the same data for all automatics as well. ScanXL can access this data, at least it's shown in the list of extended GM PIDs.

This PID would be hugely beneficial for those wanting to use DashCommand as their primary gauge cluster. Most factory dashes have a PRNDL display, and it really is needed. There are other, mechanical, ways of accomplishing this, but it would be much, much better to have it as part of the DashCommand Display. Here's a picture of the skin I'm working on as an example:

* Blazer Cluster.png (436.34 KB, 1366x768 - viewed 913 times.)
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 11:56:47 pm »

What is the name of the PID in ScanXL?

Another thought, in DashCommand's PID list, set it to show all PIDs, not just the supported PIDs. Then sort the PIDs by manufacturer. It is possible the PID is there, but not reported by your vehicle.

If it is missing from DashCommand, but supported in ScanXL, we can add it to DashCommand in our next update.
Nak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 06:20:32 pm »

That would be cool!

I checked all PIDs, it isn't there. I'm not sure what its called in ScanXL, I don't have that. I did see all the IMS PIDs were listed on the ScanXL web page under supported extended PIDs for GM, but that page did not show the actual names. If you could send me a list of those, I could probably figure out which is the one we would need.

Thanks!
Nak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 05:34:07 pm »

Looking at the list of supported PIDS in ScanXL, it looks like I'd have to actually hook up ScanXL to see which ones are returning the data I would need to display this properly on a dashboard skin. I'm thinking maybe the best option would be for me to buy ScanXL with enhanced GM support and report exactly which ones are needed. It's a bit expensive for me, as I have no need for ScanXL besides this. What would really make it worth it is if maybe a couple of other PIDs that are on ScanXL could be included in the update? There would be just a few. I saw "Cruise Control Active" and "Tow/Haul mode". Plus there is a GM Fuel Level that should be more precise than the calculated PID we have now. Would it be possible to include these PIDs? I'm not looking for anything diagnostic, just the PIDs that would allow me to create an awesome skin truly worthy of replacing a factory gauge cluster. I will of course post the skin on DashXL.net so that all DashCommand users could benefit.

If this is something that can be done, I'll go ahead and purchase ScanXL and let you know exactly which PIDs ScanXL has that would be needed.

Thanks!!

John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 07:28:23 pm »

I'll talk to my tech about this on Monday.
Nak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 12:26:30 am »

Thanks!!  Smiley
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 04:50:21 pm »

We won't be able to get the cruise control or Tow PIDs in DashCommand. We will add the gear position PID in our next update.
Nak

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 12:12:45 am »

Oh well, thanks for trying. When you say gear position, do you mean the position of the PRNDL switch?
John@PPE

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 11:20:50 am »

Not sure exactly what PID it is, but the output shows, "Park", "Reverse", "Neutral", "Drive 1", "Drive2", ..., "Drive 6"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: